Applicants to the M.S.Ed. in Special Education must meet the following requirements for admission
- Application for Admission (online or PDF)
- Official copies of your undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts (in a sealed envelope) from any college(s) or universities you have attended.
- Applicants must have achieved at least a 2.75 in major and 2.50 overall cumulative GPA in a bachelor’s program. Initial (or provisional) teaching certificate is required. Special education applicants must hold provisional or initial certification in elementary, early childhood or childhood education. A minimum grade point average of B must be maintained for continuation in the program and eligibility for practicum experiences.
- Applicants must submit a photocopy of their New York State initial teaching certification in Childhood Education, Grades 1-6
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required of all applicants whose native language is not English. The TOEFL or IELTS is generally not required of candidates who have studied for at least two years at an accredited high school or post-secondary institution where English is the only method of instruction, unless there is a need for additional evidence of proficiency in English upon review of other academic credentials. The minimum TOEFL score for admission: 79 Internet-based score (197 computer based, 527 paper-based score) or minimum IELTS score for admission: 6.0 (effective Spring 2012)
Send application materials to:
100 Second Avenue
Brentwood, N.Y. 11717