Applicants to the M.S. in Library and Information Science at LIU Brentwood should submit the Long Island University Online Application for Admission and select "LIU Brentwood" in the "Campus" field. All original supporting admissions materials (transcripts, letters of recommendation, resume and test scores) should be mailed to:
100 Second Avenue
Brentwood, N.Y. 11717
Copies of the documents may be sent in advance by fax or e-mail. You academic advisor will work with you to select courses at various LIU campus locations.
Applicants to the Master of Science in Library and Information Science/School Library Media must adhere to the following requirements for admission.
- Application for Admission
- Official copies of your undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts from any college(s) or universities you have attended. Mail to LIU Brentwood Admissions Office.
- Applicants must have achieved at least a 3.0 grade point average or equivalent in a bachelor's program or in the last two years of the undergraduate program. Applicants who have not have completed their degrees prior to submitting the admission application should submit a transcript without the final semester's grades. Such applicants may be accepted pending receipt of their final degree noted.
- Applicants whose undergraduate average is below a 3.0 will be required to submit the results of the Graduate Record Exam or Miller Analogies Test taken in the last five years. Students already holding a master's degree or who can show successful completion of coursework in graduate school will not be required to take the GRE or MAT exams. Mail to LIU Brentwood Admissions Office. . The following GRE scores are required: If you took the test prior to August 1, 2011, a combined verbal/quantitative score of 1000 is required. If you have or will take the test after August 1, 2011 a combined verbal/quantitative score of 300 or above is required using the revised scale. A MAT score of 412 or above is required.
- Two professional and/or academic letters of recommendation that address the applicant's potential in the profession and ability to complete a graduate program.
- A current résumé. Mail to LIU Brentwood Admissions Office.
- A written statement that describes the applicant's motivation for seeking the degree, special areas of interest, and career objectives in the profession (500-1000 words). You may submit this statement in lieu of the Applicant's Personal Statement requested as part of the Online Application for Admission or mail to LIU Brentwood Admissions Office.
- If you hold a degree from outside the United States your official records of all post-secondary education must be translated by an approved organization such as World Education Services (WES). You may purchase this translation by contacting WES, www.wes.org or telephone at 1-800-937-3895. Request a course-by-course translation with conversion of all grades into a U.S.4- point scale with U.S. degree equivalencies. This translation must be received by the Office of Admissions in an envelope sealed by WES.
- Students for whom English is a second language must submit official score results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The required minimum acceptable TOEFL score is: 79 Internet-based (213 computer based or 550 paper-based) or minimum IELTS score: 6.5. Mail to LIU Brentwood Admissions Office.
Applicants who do not meet the above minimum criteria may be considered for admission as limited matriculants if potential for success in the program and the field can be confirmed by an unusually high GRE or MAT score, extensive and successful experience in the field, outstanding letters of recommendation from professionals in the field, or a personal interview that will demonstrate that the applicant has attained the level of maturity and dedication necessary to pursue study at the master's level.
Students interested in studying at LIU Brentwood, should send application materials to:
100 Second Avenue
Brentwood, N.Y. 11717
Note: Students enrolled in the Palmer School M.S. in Library and Information Science program at LIU Brentwood must complete 3 credits in residence at LIU Post in Brookville, New York.