General Safety Tips
These guidelines focus on campus safety, but most also are useful in any major city or public area.
- Report suspicious activity on Campus by calling the Public Safety Department at extension 55 or 718-488-1078 or by pressing the button on any yellow emergency phone around Campus.
- Always be alert and aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid walking alone at night. Walk with a group when possible. If you must walk alone, use well-lighted paths and sidewalks and take the most direct route. Project a confident attitude. Inform someone of your destination and your expected arrival and return time.
- Carry only necessary cash and credit cards. Always carry enough money for an emergency phone call.
- If you carry a wallet, keep it in the breast pocket of your jacket or in your side pants pocket; back pocket are easiest to pick.
- If you carry a shoulder bag, keep it close to your body with one hand on the bag. Never carry a purse by the handle; hold it securely under your arms. If you carry a backpack, do not wear it on your back in crowded situations such as subways.
- If taking the subway, look for the red or green lights outside the entrance. A red light means that you cannot enter the subway at that location; look for entrance with a green light before going down the stairs.
- Always lock your car. Before getting into your car check the back seat to make sure no one is hiding in there.
- In the Residence Hall, keep your room doors locked at all times.
- Make a record of your valuables such as by recording serial numbers of items like televisions, computer, etc. Keep property secured or in sight.
- Trust your instincts. You are your best protection.