Holiday Safety Tips
As the Holiday Season approaches, the Department of Public Safety would like to share some holiday crime prevention tips with you.
- Be sure to lock your doors and windows when leaving your room, apartment or home even for brief periods.
- Always secure your valuables and never leave items such as pocketbooks, wallets, keys, cell phones etc. unattended even for brief periods of time.
- Do not display holiday gifts where they can be seen from windows, doorways or openly viewable areas.
- Be cautious of strangers soliciting for charitable donations. Ask for identification, how the donated funds will be used, etc.
- When you go out for the evening be sure to turn on the lights and a radio or television so your residence appears to be occupied.
- Don't leave boxes from TVs, VCRs, Computers, etc. out at the curb for trash pick up. Break them down.
- Record all serial numbers or mark valuables with an identification number.
- Carry your purse under your arm with the flap turned into your body.
- Park in well lit areas. Be aware of your surroundings.
If you have any non-emergency questions related to this Safety Advisory, please feel free to call Public Safety at ext. 1078. If you have any health-related questions, call Brooklyn Student Health Services at ext. 6450.