Director, Master of Public Administration ProgramAssociate Professor of Public Administration
B.A., College at Florham, Fairleigh Dickinson UniversityM.A., College at Florham, Fairleigh Dickinson UniversityPh.D., Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Campus at Newark
Helisse Levine joined LIU’s Brooklyn Campus in 2008 as an assistant professor in the MPA Program in the Campus’ School of Business, Public Administration and Information Sciences. Dr. Levine received her practitioner experience working as a budget analyst for Nassau County’s Legislative Budget Review Office. Her research interests include the role of economic and fiscal constraints on government organizations, social inequities in healthcare and government across race and ethnicity and public administration pedagogy, with emphasis on assessment as promulgated by the Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs the MPA’s accrediting body.
Dr. Levine remains committed to empowering MPA students with the tools of financial analysis and methods of research in public, nonprofit and health care organizations. She teaches courses in analytical methods, public budgeting, health care finance, political economy and public organizations, and serves as mentor to the development of M.P.A. student capstone projects.
State and Local Government Resource Allocation; Capital Markets and Public Organizations; Topical Fiscal Issues in Public, Nonprofit and Health Care Financial Management.
- Author, selected articles include: Municipal Finance Journal, Administrative Theory & Praxis, Journal of Public Budgeting, Accounting and Financial Management, The Journal of Management: An International Journal, Journal of Public Affairs Education, Journal of Business and Economics, Journal of Public Management and Social Policy, Journal of Health and Human Services Administration, International Journal of Public Administration, Journal of Nonprofit and Public Sector Marketing, State and Local Government Review, Public Finance and Management, International Journal of Society Systems Science and International Journal of Services and Standards.
- Co-editor, “The Handbook of Fiscal Crisis”
- Co-editor, “Women in Public Administration: Theory and Practice”
- New York Metropolitan Chapter of the American Society of Public Administration, Paul P. Van Riper Award for Excellence and Service (2013).
- Nominee, 2005 NASPAA Dissertation Award – Rutgers University
- Member, Pi Alpha Alpha, National Honor Society for Public Affairs and Administration (Inducted in 2003)
- Summa Cum Laude Graduate, Fairleigh Dickinson University (1996)
- Excellence in Economics Award, Fairleigh Dickinson University (1996)
- Member, Phi Omega Epsilon Scholastic Honor Society (Inducted in 1996)
- Member, Omicron Delta Epsilon International Economics Honor Society (Inducted in 1994)
- Executive Committee Member, Association for Public Budgeting and Financial Management
- Committee Member, Section on Women in Public Administration
- Member, American Society of Public Administration