Associate Professor of Nursing
B.S., Eastern China University of Science and TechnologyM.S., Medical University of South CarolinaD.N.P., Case Western Reserve University
I joined the LIU Brooklyn School of Nursing as a full-time faculty member in January 2005. Prior to coming to LIU Brooklyn, I worked full time as a nurse practitioner in multiple health care settings and provided health care to patients of all ages and ethnicities. I also taught graduate and undergraduate nursing students as an adjunct faculty member at several other institutions.
Since joining the faculty at LIU Brooklyn, I have taught undergraduate nursing courses like Pharmacology, Pathophysiology, Medical Surgical Nursing, Fundamental Nursing, Health Assessment, Gerontological Nursing and Medication Administration in both classroom and clinical settings. I am currently focusing on working with nurse practitioner students in our master’s degree program, teaching the following courses: Advanced Health Assessment, Role of Advanced Practice Nurses, Primary Care for Advanced Practice Nurses and Nurse Practitioner Practicum.
I still practice as a nurse practitioner part time in a primary care clinic. I serves as a consultant for the Visiting Nurse Service of New York. I am passionate about nurse practitioner's role in health care, minority health care, geriatric health care and research in nursing shortage and immigrant nurse issues.
Primary Care, Geriatric Care, College Health, Minority Health, Workforce Issues, Nursing Shortage, Immigrant Nurses
- Co-author, Chapter 23 Gastrointestinal Alterations, published in Pediatric Nursing: Caring for Children and Their Families.
- Co-author, "Otomycosis: diagnosis and treatment review and update," published in The American Journal for Nurse Practitioners.
- Co-author, "Demands of Immigration among Chinese Immigrant Nurses," published in International Journal of Nursing Practice.
- Co-author, "Should Nursing Students be Required to Participate in Actual Birth During Their Obstetric Clinical Experience?" published in The American Journal of Maternal/Child Nursing.
- Author, "An Unusual Vacation Experience," published in Nursing stories: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Journey.
Lectures and Presentations
- Presenter, "Ten Most Common Reasons College Students Visit the Health Center," New York State Nurse Practitioner Association Annual Convention (2012).
- Presenter, "Finding the Preceptors: What We Can Learn from Netherlands Advanced Practice Nurse Clinical Training Model," Annual Conference of National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (2011).
- Presenter, “Barriers for Chinese American Immigrants seeking Emergency Care," Annual Scientific Meeting, Chinese American Medical Society (2009).
- Presenter, "Otomycosis: diagnosis and treatment updates," The Third National Doctors of Nursing Practice Conference (2010).
- Lecture, Nurse Practitioner Practice in Nursing Homes,” Hugeschool Zuyd University, Netherlands (2009).
- Presenter, "Factors that affect the demands of immigration of the Chinese immigrant nurses,” 20th International Nursing Research Congress Focusing on Evidence-Based Practice (2009).
- Presenter, “Computer Assisted Instruction and Online Resources for Advanced Health Assessment Course,” American Association of Colleges of Nursing Master Education Conference (2009).
- Presenter, "Demands of Immigration of Chinese Nurses," The Sigma Theta Tau 19th International Nursing Research Congress Focusing on Evidence-Based Practice (2008).
- Presenter, “A day in hospital: a blueprint for clinical instruction,” The third International Interdisciplinary Conference on Clinical Supervision (2007).
President, Nurse Practitioner Association of New York, Manhattan/Bronx Chapter
Treasure, Nurse Practitioner Association of New York, Brooklyn/Queens Chapter
Media Speak Person, Nurse Practitioner Association of New York, New York City Area
Consultant, Visiting Nurse Service of New York
Member, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
Certified Nurse Practitioner in Family Practice
Certified Trainer, End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium