Information for Community Agencies
Welcome to the Common Ground Service Learning Web site! We are pleased that you are considering participation in the Common Ground Service Learning Program at Long Island University’s Brooklyn Campus. Through this innovative program, college students volunteer at your organization while they learn about community service through an academic course taught at the Campus.
Students perform 2-6 hours of community service per week during the semester. If you would like to have one of our students perform community service at your agency, we would ask respectfully for your assistance with the following:
- Fill out a site application form so that we can list your organization and information about it on our password-protected Web site. Students visit this site and review their options for performing community service.
- Whenever possible, please provide meaningful tasks for students to perform. Clerical work should be minimized, but when required, should be explained in the context of the organization's big picture or mission
- Provide students with adequate supervision
- Confirm students' participation in community service
- At the end of the term, complete an evaluation form that provides a record of the student’s performance
- In adherence with the policies of the Common Ground Service Learning Program and the Social Work Department, be sure that students only make visits to client’s homes if they are accompanied by an agency staff member.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at 718-780-1025. We look forward to hearing from you.
Sabrina Brown, LCSW
Director of B.S.W. Field Education
Director of Common Ground Service Learning