Contact Us

Program Requirements

Becoming a Social Work Major

If you are considering becoming a social work major, you should discuss this with a social work faculty member. It is important to declare social work as your major as early as possible. To declare a major you must complete a “Request for Change of Major” form, which requires the signature of the social work department chair (forms are available in the registrar’s office and with social work's administrative assistant). The sooner you declare a major, the sooner we can provide quality advisement and mentoring. Although you can declare a social work major at any time, you are not officially accepted into the Program until you have met the following criteria:

  1. an overall GPA of at least 2.5;
  2. achieved a grade of “B” or higher in SWK 101;
  3. met with a social work faculty advisor; and
  4. act in accordance with the National Association of Social Work (NASW) Code of Ethics and the International Federation of Social Workers/International Association of Schools of Social Work Ethics in Social Work Statement of Principles, both in the classroom and in the field.