About the Health Field
The Bureau of Labor Statistics notes that jobs in the health field will continue to grow over the next few years.
Graduates of this degree program will be prepared for careers in public health and in hospitals where employment opportunities will abound:
- There is a demand for public health workers - 250,000 more will be needed by 2020. (source: Association of Schools of Public Health)
- 23% of the current public health workforce – almost 110,000 workers – is eligible to retire by 2012. (source: Association of Schools of Public Health)
- As a source of private-sector jobs, hospitals rank second nationwide; in urban areas, hospitals are among the top 10 employers. (source: The Joint Commission)
- Health care contributed more jobs to the economy than any other industry in the past few years. (source: The Joint Commission)
- Hospital care is the largest component of the health sector, which itself is a growing segment of the U.S. economy. The health sector is an economic mainstay, providing stability and growth, even during times of recession. (source: American Hospital Association)