To be admitted into this program you must:
- Submit an application to Long Island University Brooklyn Campus Office of Admissions (see below)
- Have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- Have a 2.75 minimum undergraduate grade-point average
- Have a minimum 18 credits in one of the content areas: biology, chemistry, English, math, or social studies
- Submit two letters of recommendation
- Submit a statement of professional goals
Students who have not passed the Liberal Arts and Sciences Test (LAST) of the NYS Teacher Certification Exam and do not have prior teaching certification are also required to take the TAL Department Assessment, a measure of writing skill, upon admission and before registration. Students who do not achieve a passing score (Level 3) on the assessment must enroll in TAL 088 Textual Strategies for Educators, a non-credit course to develop reading and writing skills at the graduate level, during the first semester. They are also required to meet with the Director of Academic Support Services early in the semester to discuss the results of the assessment. In addition, students scoring at Level 1 are limited to 3 credits in the first semester; students scoring at Level 2 are limited to 6 credits.
Submitting an Application For Admission
All applicants must apply for admission to Long Island University’s Brooklyn Campus. Please apply online at My LIU or use the Apply Now link in the top navigation bar. For more information on the admissions process, visit the Office of Admissions Web site or call 718-488-1011.