Advanced Certificate in Educational Leadership
The 36-credit Advanced Certificate in Educational Leadership is a post-graduate program that leads to NYS Certification as a School District Leader and a School Building Leader. It is approved by the New York State Education Department.
The program responds to the need for high quality educational leaders committed to creating excellent schools. Participants in the program develop the core competencies in leadership which include : (1) a deep understanding of curriculum, instruction and assessment to improve student learning; (2) use of data to set goals and improve achievement; (3) developing staff, sharing leadership and building strong school communities; (4) personal leadership that fosters a culture of excellence and (5) managing resources and operations to improve student learning. The curriculum includes research, theory, fieldwork, accountable conversation and learning opportunities offered by faculty and distinguished practitioners who prepare candidates to become efficient, effective and caring educational leaders determined to promote equity and excellence for diverse populations.
BLENDED LEARNING/SATURDAY FORMAT
The Brooklyn Campus’ BLENDED LEARNING Advanced Certificate in Educational Leadership fuses online learning with traditional classroom studies on Saturdays, significantly reducing the amount of time you’ll spend on campus and maximizing interaction with faculty members and fellow students. The blended learning Saturday format is perfect for the busy professional who has many career and family obligations during the work week. Approximately half of the class sessions in this program are delivered online.
- Learn More.
- The Educational Leadership program is a theory-based/field-based program. For each course, students are expected to put theory into practice through assignments in schools and regional offices. Practitioners meet with students in their schools to accomplish their assigned tasks and to address real-world issues.
- Because the majority of the students in the Educational Leadership program live and work in New York City, they bring real-life experience directly to the classroom setting and are able to apply their experiences in the classroom to their everyday work environment.
- The program is based on the study group concept. Students work in teams to complete projects and to prepare portfolios that highlight their work, building collegiality and opportunities for networking as well as developing cooperative, collaboration and communication skills.
Hallmarks of the Educational Leadership Program
- Faculty with extensive New York City and regional school leadership experience
- Individual attention to students with ongoing certification and career guidance
- Field-based experiences emphasized throughout the program
- Focus on the needs of the urban educator with emphasis on English Language Learners and Students with Disabilities