To graduate with a major in Teaching and Learning or Physical Education, students must have:
- Completed a minimum of 128 credits with an overall GPA of at least 2.67 and a TLL GPA of at least 3.0
- Completed all TLL program requirements including student teaching and a passing score on the LAST
To obtain initial certification, students must:
- Complete all TLL degree requirements including student teaching
- Complete state-mandated training in child abuse identification and reporting, school violence prevention, fire-safety, substance abuse prevention, and abduction prevention.
- Complete all required portions of the NYSTCE.
The following portions of the NYSTCE are required for initial certification:
- Liberal Arts and Sciences Test (LAST)
- Assessment of Teaching Skills-Written (ATS-W)
- Content Specialty Test (CST) in the certification area
- For students seeking a Bilingual Extension: The Bilingual Education Assessment (BEA) in the target language of instruction.
After granting initial certification, the NYSED allows five more years for candidates to complete requirements for professional certification, which include the following:
- Masters degree in Education or in a related liberal arts and sciences subject
- One year of full-time mentored teaching experience and two additional years of teaching experience
The SOE Certification Officer helps students apply for certification once all requirements are met.