Advanced Certificate in Family Nurse Practitioner (Blended Format)
The 41-credit Advanced Certificate in Family Nurse Practitioner offers nurses who already have earned a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in nursing, with the opportunity to increase their expertise in the area of care for family members in a variety of settings including clinics, hospitals, ambulatory care centers, schools, homes and work places.
The comprehensive curriculum covers a wide array of relevant topics, from “Advanced Physical Assessment” to “Diagnosis and Management of the Family.”
This program is presented in a blended format. All courses are web-enhanced using BlackBoard. Up to 49% of the content in any one course may be online. Basic computer skills are required.
The required credits, class hours and clinical hours are:
Nurse Practitioners certified by New York State who wish to expand into another specialty can have their academic preparation evaluated and an individualized program developed for them.
The program is approved by the New York State Education Department and is fully accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). Graduates are eligible for New York State certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner and for national certification through the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP).
Graduates of this post-master’s program will be able to:
- Synthesize knowledge from advanced theoretical and empirical sciences to generate nursing theory relevant to the advanced practice nursing role
- Evaluate clinical data for planning, implementing and evaluating of health care to promote, maintain and/or restore an optimum level of health and adaptation in selected client populations
- Utilize the research process in the systematic investigation of factors that influence the health and adaptation of client populations
- Assume a collegial role in consultation with other care providers to enhance the quality and accessibility of health care services to consumers
- Utilize the advanced practice role to exercise leadership responsibility, professional accountability and scholarly approach to health care
- Generate a personal philosophy and role definition that reflects commitment to human values and contributes to the evolution of nursing as a profession
- Utilize oral and written communication skills to actualize the advanced practice of nursing role