To be admitted to this program you must:
- Have earned a B.S. degree from a school of nursing accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting body with a 3.0 grade-point in the nursing major and 2.5 overall grade-point average.
- Have a New York State RN license.
- Have one-year current clinical experience, two years preferred. Applicants to the Nurse Educator Program can be accepted without the minimum 1-year of clinical experience.
- Submit three professional references on School of Nursing form.
- Submit a personal statement of professional goals.
- Complete personal interview, analytical writing and basic computer competency tests.
- Have completed research and statistics courses and a health assessment course or certificate are pre-requisites for the nurse practitioner programs. Pre-requisites may be completed during the first year of graduate work.
- Have completed research and statistics courses are pre-requisites for the nurse executive program.
- Have read and signed the Essential Behaviors document.
- Submit an Application for Admission (see below).
Note: Applications are not considered until all of the following have been received:
- Completed Long Island University application form
- A current resume
- Three completed recommendation forms (professional and/or educational, not personal references)
- A transcript. (A student copy can be submitted pending receipt of an official copy)
- A copy of the applicant’s current New York State registration/license as a Registered Nurse
- A 1-2 page personal statement of professional goals.
Students are accepted for classes starting in September in the Nurse Educator Program and the Nurse Practitioner Program and September and January in the Nurse Executive Program. The deadline for submitting a completed application to the Nurse Educator and the Nurse Practitioner tracks is August 1st. The deadlines for admission to the Nurse Executive Program are August 1st and December 1st.
Submitting an Application For Admission
All applicants must apply for admission to Long Island University’s Brooklyn Campus. Please apply online at My LIU or use the Apply Now link in the top navigation bar. For more information on the admissions process, visit the Office of Admissions Web site or call 718-488-1011.