Financial Aid

Frequently Asked Questions

Financing Your LIU Education FAQs

Billing/Payment FAQs

Federal Verification FAQs


Can I speak with someone about my award package and individual circumstances?

Yes! If you have a unique situation and prefer to discuss the specifics of your financial aid award in person, the LIU Office of Enrollment Services is available to assist. They may be reached at 718-488-1037 or

What is the difference between a grant and a scholarship?

Grants are usually awarded based on economic need while scholarships are awarded based on merit. Neither grants nor scholarships are required to be repaid.

I received an academic scholarship from LIU upon admission. Are there stipulations I must meet to be eligible for my scholarship?

All undergraduate and graduate scholarships require full-time enrollment every semester—12 credits or more for undergraduate students and nine credits or more for graduate students. For certain awards, you must also satisfy cumulative GPA requirements in order for scholarships to be renewed each year (generally a 3.0).

Can I use my departmental award (honors, dance, music, art, media arts, athletics, etc.) across different campuses?

No, departmental awards are specific to the individual campus or program that offered the award.

What is TAP and how do I apply?

The Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is a need-based grant program administered by the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation. To be eligible for a TAP award, you must fulfill specific income and New York State residency requirements and complete your online TAP application by linking to it directly from your FAFSA confirmation page at Use the LIU School Code 0403.

What is the Federal College Work Study Program and how do I secure a job?

The Federal College Work Study Program provides part-time employment to assist you in paying for educational expenses. Eligibility is determined by information in your FAFSA and financial need. It is offered to those who demonstrate economic need and meet the LIU priority FAFSA deadline date of Feb. 15. If you are offered to participate in this program, you must accept it through your MyLIU account ( and work with LIU’s Career Placement Office to secure a job. Once employed, you will receive a paycheck every two weeks. Funds earned through the Federal College Work Study Program are not calculated against student income on the following year’s FAFSA application.

How do I apply for a Federal Direct Loan?

To apply for a Federal Direct Loan as a first-time borrower, you must first accept this loan through your MyLIU account ( Upon accepting the Federal Direct Loan, a Master Promissory Note and an online entrance counseling session must be completed at for your loan to disburse.

How do I apply for a Federal Direct PLUS or Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

To apply for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan or Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, you or your parent must first complete the request form for new or continuing student borrowers found at Forms & Documents and submit it to the Student Financial Services Office. Upon submission of the Federal PLUS Request Form, a Master Promissory Note and credit check must be completed at

If my parents do not qualify for the PLUS loan due to their credit history, do I have other options?

Yes. For undergraduate students, if your parents are unable to borrow under the PLUS program, you are eligible to borrow an additional $4,000 to $5,000 in an unsubsidized Federal direct loan. You may also pursue private loans as well.

How do I apply for the Federal Perkins Loan?

The low-interest Federal Perkins Loan is available to continuing students under new federal guidelines if you demonstrate great economic need. The interest rate is fixed at 5 percent, and the grace period before repayment begins is nine months. The Perkins loan annual limit is up to $5,500 for undergraduate students. However, funds are limited each year. You repay the loan to the school nine months after graduation through ECSI, our third-party bill servicer. You must accept this loan each year through your MyLIU account (

Why does my financial aid package total more than the cost of tuition and fees?

The federal government requires that the school establish a cost of attendance to reflect additional costs that could be encountered in obtaining a degree. LIU offers a financial aid package up to that maximum allowable amount (which may include loans) to help you finance the total cost of your education. It is up to you to decide whether to accept or decline all of the aid that is offered. For example, you may choose to borrow extra loan funds to help pay for transportation, supplies, housing costs, and books.

Will my financial aid package remain the same for all four years at LIU?

No. In order to continue receiving federal and institutional aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year online at by Feb. 15. Your eligibility for aid and subsequent financial aid package may change from year to year as it is based on your federal tax documents from the previous year, availability of funds, and program eligibility requirements.

I was originally planning to live on campus but will now live at home. How will this affect my financial aid package?

Should you decide to change your housing plans, you must notify the Office of Residence Life ( to cancel your room assignment and the Enrollment Services Office at 718-488-1037 or as your cost of attendance will need to be adjusted. This could result in a change in the amount of financial aid you receive since your off-campus cost of attendance may change.

What other options do I have if my financial aid does not cover my costs?

You can contact the Enrollment Services Office to inquire about enrolling in a tuition payment plan that is an interest free way to break down your educational expenses into monthly installments. Payment plans begin as early as May for the fall semester and December for the spring semester. Signing up early will keep payments as low as possible. Please note that your financial aid package must be completed before you are able to sign up for a payment plan so that your remaining balance due is accurate.

The University offers students and families the ability to pay your tuition bill in installments using our new online payment plan system. These plans can help families budget the cost of tuition and fees by spreading out the cost over a number of payments each term. Enrolling in a payment plan is easy - simply log into the LIU Payment Gateway, pick a plan that meets your needs, and enroll. You can pay online using a credit card or e-check, knowing your information is secured by industry-leading security features. The payment plan system will automatically notify you if your installments increase or decrease due to changes in your student account.

The University offers the following payment plans each semester:

Fall Payment Plan Spring Payment Plan Summer Payment Plan
Enrollment Fee $35 $35 $35
Enrollment Dates Jun 1 - Sep 15 Nov 1 - Jan 31 Apr 1 - Jun 30
Balance Calculation All applicable charges, less any approved financial aid.  Your plan will automatically recalculate if changes are made to your student account or financial aid during the payment plan term.
First Payment 20% plus fee upon enrollment 20% plus fee upon enrollment 33% plus fee upon enrollment
Remaining Payments Four equal installments due 30, 60, 90 and 120 days from your enrollment date Four equal installments due 30, 60, 90 and 120 days from your enrollment date Two equal monthly installments
Late Payment Fee $25 if payment is not received within 5 days of the scheduled due date.
Payment Methods Mastercard, Visa, American Express, Discover, or ACH/Checking Account; auto deduction options are also available.
How to Enroll Log into your MyLIU account and select "Make a Payment."  Then log into the LIU Payment Gateway and select "Payment Plans."
Authorized User Access Yes.  You must first set up an authorized user.

Important Phone Numbers
LIU Enrollment Services: 718-488-1037
Federal Student Aid Hotline: 800-433-3243
New York State Higher Education Services Corporation: 888-697-4372
Federal Direct Loan Servicing Center: 800-557-7394
ECSI Campus Loan Servicing: 888-549-3274


When must I clear my bill?

Students are expected to clear their bills in accordance with the following schedule. Late fees will be charged to students who do not make satisfactory payment arrangements.


Bill Due Date

1st Late Fee

2nd Late Fee 3rd Late Fee

Fall August 1 August 15 September 15

October 15
Winter December 1 December 15 - -
Spring January 1 January 15 February 15 March 15
Summer May 1 May 15 - -
Students with past due balances will be prevented from registering for future terms and may be referred to external collections where additional penalties and charges of L5-4070 may be added in accordance with applicable laws and regulations and will be precluded access to University services.

I would like to participate in the University’s payment plan. How do I sign up?

Students may take advantage of the LIU payment plan that allows you to spread out your payments from the beginning to the end of the academic term. There is an enrollment fee of $35 per term. The payment plan is a written contract between you and LIU. As an added benefit to participate, there is no interest charged when payments are made in a timely manner. Online enrollment in our payment plans will commence on April 1 through the LIU Payment Gateway which can be accessed through your MyLIU account.

My bill is cleared but I have not received my refund - when can I expect to receive this?

Student refunds that are expected from federal loans will be disbursed within 14 days from the start of the term or from the date the credit first appears on your student account, whichever is later, in accordance with applicable federal regulations and University policies. Refunds are issued automatically; once the transaction is processed, it will be posted to your student account and subsequently issued to you via check and sent to you at your permanent mailing address on record. If you would like your refund check to go to another address, log into your MyLIU account and update your billing address.

My charges due balance differs from what was included on my LIU bill. How do I reconcile this difference?

Your LIU bill is generated on the 15th of each month and includes all transactions in your account as of the date of the bill, including anticipated financial aid. In contrast, your My LIU webpage shows account activity on a real time basis, taking into account drop/add activities, withdrawals, and payments. Differences between your bill and information within My LIU may trigger an adjustment that will be accounted for in future billings that will be sent to your permanent address on record. You may update your billing address in your MyLIU account if you wish to change where your bill is mailed.

There are many items included in my Account Activity detail. What do these transactions mean?

The account activity screen shows separate lines for charges, payments, and refunds by date and term. Charges consist of amounts billed to your account for mandatory tuition, fees, and other costs associated with your enrollment. Payments represent amounts remitted by the student, application of financial aid and scholarships, and reversals of charges resulting from various actions, including drop/add activities, tuition remission, and waivers. Refunds represent amounts returned to the student or parent. For additional information on your activity detail, please contact the Enrollment Services Office.

I have a student financial-related hold on my account that is preventing me from registering for classes. How do I resolve this problem?

Students must be in good financial standing to be eligible to register for classes or request official transcripts and diplomas. To view your holds, log into your MyLIU account and click on the "To Do List" section to view the detail of each individual hold to determine what is required to clear your account.

How do I review the status of my tuition bill? Am I able to review that information from "My LIU"account?

Yes, once you log into your My LIU account, you will be able to view the status of your bill, as well as any activity, charges due, and payments posted. You will also be mailed a monthly bill to your permanent address on record. Updating your billing address in MyLIU will redirect where your bill is mailed.

MyLIU shows I have charges due. How do I make payment on these charges?

You can pay your bill through approved financial aid, check, money order, or your major credit card. Payment can be made online through your MyLIU.

My family sent a payment for the upcoming semester. Can I view that information in My LIU?

Yes, under the Finances tab, click on Account Inquiry then click on the Payments tab. Once the Office of Enrollment Services has posted the payment you will be able to view that information. Payments made online are posted to your account in real time.

I currently have a payment plan with the University. Can I see the record of all the payments made during the term or during a particular period of time?

Yes, under the Finances pagelet in your MyLIU account, click on Account Inquiry then click on the Activity tab, and you will see all payments and charges on your account. To view historic transactions, change the "From" date. Your monthly statement will also note all payments received as a credit towards your account.

Will financial aid that I received this semester appear in my payment history?

Information about posted financial aid is available in the Finances pagelet of your MyLIU Student Center. Details of posted financial aid can be viewed by clicking on Account Inquiry then clicking on the Payments tab. Your monthly statement will also note any anticipated aid pending disbursement to your account, along with all disbursed aid.



What is Verification?

Federal Verification is a review process in which Long Island University, as required by the U.S. Department of Education, must verify the accuracy of the information provided on your FAFSA. FAFSA applications are randomly selected by the Federal processor for verification.

Federal programs such as the Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG Grant, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Work Study and the Federal Direct Subsidized Loan Program have strict eligibility requirements. University and state funding awarded based on need may also be affected.

Initial financial aid awards are based on the most current information we have on file for you at that time. If the tax and household information differs from the information reported on the student's FAFSA, financial aid could be increased, decreased or canceled altogether.

All verification documents should be forwarded to the Enrollment Services Office as soon as possible after they are requested. Failure to do so may result in a reduction and/or cancellation of federal, state, and University financial aid. Students can review their "To Do List" in their MyLIU account to determine which items, if any, are outstanding. We recommend that the verification process be completed at least one month before the start of the term to avoid any loss of financial aid as campus-based funds are limited.

What needs to be verified?

Schools are required to verify:

  • The number of people in your household
  • The number of household members attending a post-secondary educational institution at least half time
  • Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or income earned from work if income is below the minimum required for income tax filing
  • U.S. Income Tax Paid
  • Child Support Paid
  • Receipt of Food Stamps/SNAP benefits
  • Certain Untaxed Income and Benefits such as:
    • Child support received
    • Interest on tax free bonds
    • Other untaxed income from the U.S. income tax return (excluding schedules)
  • High School Status
  • Identity and Educational Purpose

How do I know if I am selected for verification?

Your Student Aid Report (SAR), sent by the Department of Education after your FAFSA has been processed,  will let you know if you have been selected for verification. Any student selected for verification is sent a Financial Aid "To Do" Letter listing the additional requirements needed.  This information will also appear on the your MyLIU account under the "To Do List" section.

What do I do if I receive a Financial Aid "To Do" Letter?

Read each item carefully to determine what is needed and submit only those documents that are requested.   Please note the University can no longer accept Federal Tax Returns. (IRS Form 1040 or equivalent).

What's the fastest way to submit my income information?

If you are required to submit proof of income and W2s, we recommend that you make a correction on your FAFSA and elect to retrieve this information directly from the IRS via the IRS Data Retrieval tool. Your information should reach the University within 5 days and as long as you don't change any of the data, you will not need to submit an IRS Tax Transcript or W2s. (IRS Data Retrieval is available two weeks after filing your taxes electronically and eight weeks after filing by mail.)  Simply check the appropriate box in Section C of the Verification Worksheet that says you used the IRS Data Retrieval.  Please note that you will still need to submit any other checklist items that are listed on your Financial Aid "To Do" Letter.

Why am I blocked from using the IRS Data Retrieval?

Students/parents who file the following are ineligible for IRS Data Retrieval use:

  • Foreign Tax Return

  • Married filing separately

  • Change in marital status after the previous calendar year-end

Currently, the IRS data on a tax return may only be imported into one FAFSA per award year.  This causes issues when the parent of a dependent student is also a student or when a student has siblings who are also filing a FAFSA. In these cases, you must enter the data manually on your FAFSA.

What if I'm ineligible or don't want to do an IRS Data Retrieval?

You/your parents will need to submit a Federal Income Tax Transcript Form 4506T as well as copies of all W2s.  You can request a Federal Tax Transcript online at or by calling 1-800-908-9946.  You will need your social security number, date of birth, EXACT street address as used on the tax return and your postal zip code.  In some cases, your address may differ slightly from what the IRS has recorded.  If you have problems ordering a transcript online due to your address being incorrect, consult your post office as to the correct listing of your address.  Please note that depending on the time of year, tax transcripts can take up to eight weeks to process.

What if I filed an amended return?

If you filed an amended return, we will need a signed copy of IRS Form 1040X in addition to the IRS Tax Transcript.

What if I or my parents don't file taxes?

If you/your spouse/your parents did not file federal income tax returns, you must provide IRS Tax Form 4506T and fill out the Verification Worksheet listing any sources of income.  You will also need to submit copies of any W2s received.

What kind of documentation do you accept as proof of High School completion?

  • High School Diploma
  • Final high school transcript that shows the date the high school diploma was awarded

Alternative documentation when the above are unavailable includes the following:

  • General Educational Development (GED) Certificate
  • State Certificate received by a student after the student has passed a State-Authorized examination that the State recognizes as the equivalent of a high school diploma;
  • Academic transcript of a student who has successfully completed at least a two year Associate's Degree program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor's degree; or
  • Documentation of high school completion status or recognized equivalent of a high school diploma

I've been selected to show proof of Identity and sign a Statement of Educational Purpose but I can't come to the campus in person.  How can I submit these documents?

If you can't appear in person, you will need to make a clear copy of a government issued ID (driver's license, passport, etc.).  We must be able to see the picture as well as the information. Download  and complete the Statement of Educational Purpose form and have it notarized.  You can then mail the copy of your ID and the original notarized Statement of Education Purpose form to the Enrollment Services Office.  Please include your LIU ID number on all documents.  Due to government regulations, we cannot accept faxes or scanned copies of these documents.

How do I submit my documents?

Once you have all the documents requested, you can mail them to the Enrollment Services Office or fax them (with the exception of the Statement of Educational Purpose and Proof of Identity). Please write your name and LIU ID number on each form and be sure not to send originals (except for Tax Transcripts). You can also drop them off in person or schedule an appointment to hand them in.

Due to the large volume of documents we receive, we ask that you submit all requested documentation at the same time. Awarding will take longer for students who do not submit their documents together.

Where do I get the forms I need to fill out?

Please visit the Forms and Documents page.