Early Years of the Campus
The C.W. Post Campus was established in 1954 on the former estate of Marjorie Merriweather Post, located on Long Island’s north shore. During the first four years of its existence, the Campus had little, if any funds to construct academic buildings. Classes were held in existing structures, including barns, horse stables, greenhouses, cottages and a mansion.
Barns Converted to Science Labs
The retrofitted barn served as the site for chemistry classes from 1955 to 1965.
The physics building, which was a vehicle shed original to the Marjorie Merriweather Post estate, is located on the right. The Life Science building is located on the site today.
Original Campus Library
The Campus library was established in 1955 in the estate’s guest house. The building has a distinguished history.
In 1940, the Grand Ducal family of Luxembourg lived in the building after they fled to America during to the Nazi invasion of their country.
Unveiling Portrait of C.W. Post
Marjorie Merriweather Post and her daughters unveiling a portrait of C.W. Post in the Great Hall. November 29, 1954.
L-R - Eleanor Close Barzin, Nedenia Marjorie Hutton (Dina Merrill) Marjorie Merriweather Post, Adelaide Close Riggs.