First-Ever TEDxLIU Conference at Hillwood Commons
Platform to share insightful ideas, innovative projects, and inspirational stories
Sarah DeCamp,Associate Director of Public Relations
The first annual TEDxLIU Conference, The Innovator Within, is coming to Hillwood Commons Lecture Hall on April 24, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. TEDxLIU is a local event, licensed by TED, that will bring people together to share a TED-like experience. The event will provide a platform for distinguished individuals to share insightful ideas, innovative projects, and inspirational stories.
The conference will feature a wide array of speakers, who will touch on their personal impetus to innovate novel concepts, systems, and ways of thinking. The purpose of TEDxLIU is to connect the brightest minds in various disciplines together to help change attitudes, lives, and, ultimately, the world.
“We are excited to hold our first TEDxLIU event at LIU Post,” said Denting Boyanton, Ph.D., co-director of TEDxLIU, assistant professor of educational psychology, and director of the childhood education program at the College of Education, Information, and Technology at LIU Post. “It will certainly be an interesting event that connects people in our community, and sparks deep discussion and ideas,” said Vincent Scovetta, Ph.D., co-director of TEDxLIU, associate professor at LIU Post, and active researcher.
Speakers at TEDxLIU include:
- Richard Keeling, M.D., head of Keeling & Associates, LLC (K&A): Dr. Keeling’s talk, “The Once and Future Entrepreneur: Discovery, Innovation, and the Prepared Mind!” will focus on the importance of incorporating and teaching innovation in higher education.
- David Kline, vice president for technology and chief information officer at Viacom: Kline’s talk, “Information Technology and Technology Leadership…. From Basement to C-Suite,” will discuss the rise of corporate technology, its collision with consumer technology, the opportunities this presents the media industry and how technology leadership must evolve.
- Arel Moodie, top Generation Y entrepreneur and author of bestseller Your Starting Point for Student Success: Moodie’s talk, “The Surprisingly Simple Question that Sparks Innovation,” will discuss the question “where innovation stems from,” what this question is and why it is so powerful, as well as how it can be applied in almost any situation.
- Joana Vicente, executive director of the IFP: Vicente’s talk, “Keep Walking: How to Achieve Your Goals,” will explore the challenges facing entrepreneurs in today’s digital society.
- William Brennan, lead innovator at Farmingdale Public Schools and co-founder of SchoolLeadership20.com: Brennan’s talk, “Why Schools Must Focus on Un-Learning,” will discuss how now is the time for school’s to reinvent learning, reinvent education, and reinvent our organizations.
- Rakesh Bhargava, manager of General Partner Mango Tree Real Estate Holdings L.P.: Bhargava’s talk, “What I Didn’t Learn in School … Lessons from a Serial Entrepreneur,” will share how his entrepreneurial spirit allowed him to start and maintain eight different businesses successfully.
TEDxLIU is an invitation only event; however, everyone is invited to watch the conference live via streaming video: new.livestream.com/liustream/tedx. The LIU community is also invited to watch the live stream at the Gold Coast Cinema at LIU Post or the Kumble Theater at LIU Brooklyn on April 24. Live stream productions are free and open to the public. For more information about TEDxLIU, visit: liu.edu/tedx.
Return to Press Releases