LIU Post Offers New Online Masters of Taxation
School of Professional Accountancy creates new program for anywhere, anytime learning
Sarah DeCamp,Associate Director of Public Relations
LIU Post today announced its long standing master’s degree in taxation program in the prestigious School of Accountancy, is now being offered online. The program can be completed in as few as two years, and applications are currently being accepted for the fall 2014 semester.
To complete the program, which requires 30 credits total, students will be required to take five core and five elective tax courses. Courses will be taught in an asynchronous, online, interactive environment, where students will work individually and in teams.
The courses, taught by faculty who have years of practical experience at large tax firms, are designed for both entry-level and experienced professionals, and will equip students with the technical expertise to succeed as a tax professional. Emphasis is placed on tax planning, research, and IRS procedures. Professors will also offer online, one-on-one, or group coaching.
The Online Master of Taxation program will help students:
- Develop an understanding of tax research utilizing information technology.
- Demonstrate an ability to identify and measure the tax consequences of actions taken by individuals, partnerships, and corporations.
- Demonstrate an ability to analyze and solve tax problems through the application of critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the tax consequences of income, gift, and estate tax transactions.
- Recognize and analyze ethical and professional responsibility issues in tax practice.
- Demonstrate an ability to analyze complex taxation problems and effectively communicate analysis in writing.
“We are proud to offer our esteemed master’s in taxation online,” said Jeffrey Hoops, former tax partner with one of the big four accounting firms and assistant professor of accounting at LIU Post. “The flexibility of this program will allow busy professionals the opportunity to take the next step in their careers and expands our geographic reach, making our program more diverse.”
The School of Professional Accountancy at LIU Post, the first independent school of professional accountancy in the nation, holds AACSB international accreditation. Online classes will be held in the fall, spring, and summer. For more information, visit: http://www.liu.edu/CWPost/Academics/Schools/COM/Dept/SPA/Graduate-Programs/MS-Taxation-Online.
Return to Press Releases