C-CERT (Campus- Community Emergency Response Team)
The C.W. Post Campus-Community Emergency Response Team (C-CERT) is a community-based program that provides training and education in emergency response. C-CERT’s training program was designed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and is taught by experts from the Nassau County Office of Emergency Management. Required participation in training scenarios enhances the team’s knowledge and value to the community as we prepare to offer assistance in a time of need.
C.W. Post C-CERT Mission Statement
The Campus- Community Emergency Response Team (C-CERT) at the C.W. Post Campus of Long Island University is dedicated to providing the highest level of emergency and disaster preparedness, leadership, and coordination in a given situation.
- Background: The C-CERT program educates people about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their school community. The program trains people in basic response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations.
- Purpose: The C-CERT program provides a structured opportunity for staff, faculty and students to augment the Department of Public Safety and local first responders in time of emergency. Using what they have learned in the classroom, these C-CERT volunteers will be able to not only assist their campus community but also provide assistance to their own local communities.
- Training: The training will be conducted by Nassau County Office of Emergency Management. All volunteers will be required to complete an eight-week, 28 hour basic training course. C-CERT basic training is eight sessions that includes the following units:
- Emergency Preparedness
- Fire Safety
- Emergency Medical Operations
- Simple Search and Rescue Operations
- CERT Organization
- Disaster Psychology
- Terrorism and CERT
Once people become C-CERT members it is important that they stay active and continue to practice the new skills that they have received. Periodic refresher courses will be offered to maintain the skills that have been taught as well as introduce new information. When Public Safety has Emergency Drills we will call upon our C-CERT members to participate so that they can brush up on the skills that they have obtained.