Hurricane Sandy - Campus Updates and Local Resources
Update: Tuesday, November 6, 5 p.m.
Classes Resume Wednesday, November 7
All electrical services have been fully restored to the LIU Post campus. The regular schedule of classes will resume on Wednesday, November 7. Please contact your faculty member if you anticipate missing class. If you believe circumstances will prevent you from completing the semester, please call the Division for Student Success from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 516-299-2255 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
CALL AND DROP-IN CENTERS
We have established telephone and drop-in centers for students to speak to a university representative should you have any questions.
Hours of operation:
Wednesday, November 7, 9 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Thursday, November 8, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Friday, November 9, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
DROP IN CENTER
Location: Center for Student Information, Hillwood Commons (across from Information Desk)
Hours of operation: Wednesday to Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Jim Merkel, Provost Distinguished Lecture Series, on Wednesday, November 7
- Suit Up for Success clothing drive, Wednesday, November 7 through Friday, November 9 (Call 516-299-2251 for an appointment)
- SIALETRAS CON SAZON poetry event, Wednesday, November 7
- SLD Leadership series, Pioneer Room, Wednesday, November 7
- VSU Women in Military program, Wednesday, November 7
- Runway Fall Fashion Show, Thursday, November 8
- Food for Thought Lecture Series media arts lecture, Thursday, November 8
- Bus Trip to LIU Brooklyn basketball game at Barclays center, Friday, November 9
- MRAW/VSU Rock the Mic, Friday, November 9
- Post Library Association lecture, Friday, November 9
- Mental Health Symposium, Saturday, November 10
- IEW Opening Banquet, Monday, November 12
- Peace Corps Info Session, Thursday, November 8 (Rescheduled Date TBA)
- Volleyball game, Thursday, November 8, postponed
Update: LIU Post, LIU Brentwood and University Center, Monday, November 5, 5:00 p.m.
LIU Post, LIU Brentwood and University Center Reopen Tuesday, November 6
- Power has been restored to the LIU Post campus in Brookville with the exception of the Fine Arts Center. LIPA is working to restore the campus to full capacity. (Please check this website for updates concerning classes in the Fine Arts Center for Wednesday.)
- All administrative offices at University Center, LIU Post, LIU Brentwood, and LIU Riverhead reopen on Tuesday, November 6 at 9:00 a.m. Employees are expected to report to work.
- Employees who are unable to report to work due to a storm-related emergency, should notify their deans or supervisors immediately. Human Resources will be communicating additional information through LIU email for employees experiencing hardship and/or needing assistance.
- Students who are facing storm-related hardship that prevent them from returning to classes on Wednesday should contact the Division for Student Success at email@example.com. The Division will reopen on Tuesday at 9:00 a.m. and can be reached at that time by calling 516-299-2255.
- Classes will not be held on Tuesday, November 6 due to Election Day, but all campus offices and University Center will be open.
- Classes will resume as regularly scheduled on Wednesday, November 7. (If conditions change, this message will be updated. See above about classes in Fine Arts Center.)
- Pratt Recreation Center is closed to all students, faculty and staff for recreational use until further notice.
The Winnick Student Center will be open on Tuesday, November 6 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. for faculty, staff and students. The center is open to residential students to use their swipe card. All others may use cash. The main dining areas such as Winnick Student Center and Hillwood Commons will reopen on a regular schedule on Wednesday, November 7; however some usual menu items may not be available. We appreciate your understanding as the campus transitions into its regular dining menu. Small retail dining might not immediately reopen on Wednesday.
For updates visit our website at www.liu.edu/post/stormwatch or call 516-299-3637.
Update: Sunday, November 4, 5:15 p.m.
Update for LIU Post, LIU Brentwood and University Center
As of this writing much of the north and central campus at LIU Post has power, although buildings on the south end of campus are not yet fully on line. LIPA continues to work toward full restoration. No classes or events will be held Monday, November 5 or November 6 (Election Day) at LIU Post and LIU Brentwood. This decision is based on continued power outages on campus and in area homes and businesses, as well as greater public issues such downed power lines and the gasoline shortage.
It is our current expectation that LIU Post and LIU Brentwood will resume regular class schedules on Wednesday, November 7. Please note that this is dependent on complete restoration of power by LIPA, which is still in progress. At this point, more than two-thirds of the LIU Post campus is experiencing full power. Please check the website at www.liu.edu/post for detailed updates.
Essential and/or necessary personnel may be contacted by their supervisors requesting they report to work on Monday, Nov. 5. We anticipate that all staff will return to work at LIU Post, LIU Brentwood and University Center on Tuesday, November 6. Employees facing hurricane-related conditions that prevent a return to work, please contact your supervisor to ensure all offices can function.
LIU Post campus shuttle bus service will resume on a limited basis on Monday and Tuesday from noon to 8 p.m. to the Hicksville train station and Broadway Mall and back. The N20 bus is operating on a full schedule as of Sunday afternoon. Please check www.nicebus.com for information.
Once classes resume, further details will be provided concerning steps that will be taken to ensure full completion of all courses by end of the Fall semester.
Please note the following:
As LIPA and LIU Post Facilities Staff work to restore full services across the entire campus, buildings may experience a temporary loss of power. Some of the safety alarms may sound during this time, lights might flicker, and service interruptions might occur. These incidents are beyond our control.
Although the campus is scheduled to be opened on Wednesday, Nov. 7, small retail dining outposts may not be open. The main dining areas such as Winnick Student Center and Hillwood Commons will be open on Wednesday; however some usual menu items may not be available. We appreciate your understanding as the campus transitions into its regular dining menu.
Information Technology will have student computing labs open and operational at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, November 6. Blackboard remains fully functional and wireless Internet access is up and operational. All administrative systems remain online.
Once classes resume, the Division for Student Success will work with students who have extenuating circumstances and are unable to return to school due to storm damage to their homes. Those students can email their contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Technology resources such as LIU email and website were not affected by the storm, although some library databases are not fully operational at this time.
Admissions application deadlines will be extended. To apply online visit www.liu.edu/post/onlineapp. More information will be posted on our website at www.liu.edu/post/admissions early next week.
If you wish to volunteer to assist with relief efforts for those affected by Hurricane Sandy, please contact Jeanette Murray (516-299-2416) (email@example.com) and give your name, and an email and phone where you can be contacted.
If you would like to donate non-perishable food and clothing to those affected by Hurricane Sandy, LIU Post community member may drop off clothing and food at the Interfaith Center.
Benefit Coffee House
The Newman Community will host a Benefit Coffee House on Wednesday evening, November 7 at 8 p.m. in the Interfaith Center. Suggested donation is $3. A candlelight vigil will be held at 10 p.m.
Van Schedule to Off-Campus Locations
Click here for Van Schedule to Off-Campus Locations.
This week’s edition of The Pioneer, the student-run newspaper of LIU Post, will be published online only due to Superstorm Sandy. To read it online, click here.
Update: Saturday, November 3, 5:00 p.m.
LIU Post, LIU Brentwood and University Center Update Following Hurricane Sandy
- LIU Post, LIU Brentwood and University Center remain closed up to and including Monday, November 5. Essential personnel will be contacted by their supervisor if they need to report to work on Monday.
- No classes or activities will be held this weekend, Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 3 and 4 or Monday or Tuesday, Nov. 5 and 6.
- LIPA is working as quickly as possible to fix the substations that provide power to the campus. As repairs and testing occurs, the campus buildings will experience lights flickering, intermittent power as well as power outages. This does not mean full power has been restored to the campus. A definitive time for full power restoration is unknown at this time.
- Please note that the Pratt Recreation Center is not open as a Red Cross Shelter.
- Power for traffic lights on roads to the campus remains intermittent. Please travel with caution.
- When school reopens, the Division for Student Success will work with students who have extenuating circumstances and are unable to return to school due to storm damage to their homes. More details will be posted on this website.
- The university is basing cancellation and closing decisions in consideration of large public needs (such as continued power outages, gas shortages, lack of home heating, and public transportation) and admissions application deadlines.
- Admission applications will be extended. More information will be posted on the admissions website at www.liu.edu/post/admissions early next week.
- All retail campus dining locations will be closed Saturday, Nov. 3 through Tuesday, Nov. 6. The Winnick Student Center continues to be open for residential students on a limited basis.
We appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding during this difficult time.
No activities or events will be held on campus up to and including Tuesday. November 6. Other cancellations include:
- Fall Open House on Sunday, November 4
- Jim Merkel, Provost Distinguished Lecture Series, on November 7
- Mental Health Symposium on November 10
- Center for Gifted Youth cancelled until power restored at the campus
- Football game on November 3 postponed to November 17 at Kutztown
- Men's soccer plays NYIT for the ECC championship Sunday, November 4 at noon at Dowling, Brookhaven campus
Catholic Mass will be held on Sunday, November 4 at 2 p.m. in Winnick Student Center.
Due to power outage on Long Island as a result of Hurricane Sandy, there will be no access to most databases, ebooks, and ejournals in the university library. The Library Catalog continues to operate properly. There is limited access to a small number of databases through the search feature on the Library's website that will search both the library's catalog and, at present, 5 Ebsco databases.
To search go to: http://discovery.lib.liu.edu or the quick search box (lower box) on the Library's homepage:
- Search results will include both articles and books
- Click on "Articles" on left hand side under "Format" to see only articles
- You will need both your library barcode number AND your PIN number to view the full text
- If you have never used your PIN, your default PIN number may be the last 4 digits of your University ID number found on your ID card or official transcripts (You can also view your unofficial transcripts at My LIU) (faculty/staff can find it on their paycheck receipts)
- You are advised to change your default PIN after you login by clicking on My Account on the upper menu.
The 5 databases available via the enhanced catalog are:
- Business Source Premier
- Communication & Mass Media Complete
- Education Research Complete
- CINAHL Plus w/Full Text (Cumulative Index to Allied Health & Nursing Literature)
- Academic Search Premier
Update: Friday, November 2, 3:45 p.m.
LIU Post, LIU Brentwood and University Center are closed through Monday, November 5
- All day and evening classes and events are cancelled for Monday, November 5 and Tuesday, November 6.
- Essential personnel will be contacted by their supervisor if they need to report to work.
- As previously scheduled, classes will not be held on Election Day, Tuesday, November 6.
- All events and activities are cancelled on Monday and Tuesday.
- Please note that closure decisions are being made in the interest of public safety and in the context of larger public issues affecting the Long Island community such as continued power outages, heating disruptions and gas shortages.
- As conditions change, this website will be updated.
- Message from the LIU Post Provost (click here).
Update: Thursday, November 1, 5:00 p.m.
The LIU Post and LIU Brentwood campuses and University Center are closed
through Sunday, November 4.
- All classes, activities and events are cancelled through Sunday, November 4.
- The campuses and University Center will reopen pending restoration of power (please check back here for updates).
- As thousands of homes and businesses are affected by power outages, the Long Island Power Authority is unable to provide a date and time for restoring power to the campus.
- If power outages continue into the week of November 5, information regarding class schedules and instruction will be posted on our website.
- Traffic lights on Northern Boulevard in Brookville and other roads leading to the campus are not operational.
- All residence halls remain open and are currently being powered by backup generators allowing for emergency lighting, heat and hot water.
- The Winnick Student Center remains open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., serving a continental breakfast, sandwich lunch, and dinner to residential students.
- Additional Information about Residential Life (click here)
- The Center for Gifted Youth is closed until power is restored.
- The Joshua Bell concert at Tilles Center on Saturday, November 3 is cancelled. See www.tillescenter.org for updates.
As new information becomes available, this message will be updated.
Update: October 31, 6:00 p.m.
LIU Post, LIU Brentwood and University Center will be closed
from Wednesday, October 31 through Sunday, November 4
The campuses in Brookville, N.Y., Brentwood, N.Y. and the Long Island University administration center in Brookville are currently without power. Classes are not in session. Essential personnel will be contacted by their supervisor if they need to report to work. LIU Post, LIU Brentwood and University Center are scheduled to reopen on Monday, November 5, assuming power has been restored. Please check this website or the Information Outlets below for updates and details.
We ask for your patience during this difficult time. Our thoughts are with our students, families and businesses that have experienced the effects of Sandy.
Fall Open House scheduled for 10 a.m. on Sunday, November 4 is cancelled. Registrants will be contacted by the Admissions Office about future events. Application deadlines will be extended. Students can apply online at www.liu.edu/post/apply or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
The November 3 football game against Kutztown University has been postponed to November 17 at Kutztown. Semi-final soccer games have been moved to Dowling College with women (vs. Dowling) at 12 noon and men at 2:30 (vs. Mercy) on Nov. 2. The final will be held Nov. 4 also at Dowling. The swimming home meets for October 31 against Queens and Saturday, November 3 against Sacred Heart are postponed.
Tilles Center For the Performing Arts
Tilles Center operates on a separate schedule then the campus. For information about Tilles Center events, please visit their website at www.tillescenter.org.
In the event of closures, delays or emergency notifications, the University will make information updates on the following media outlets. (Please note: our ability to update these venues are dependent on electrical power and cell phones. Electricity and cell phones may not be operational. We will make every effort to update these venues. Please print this page for reference should you lose power.)
In the event of an on-campus emergency, please call the Public Safety Emergency number at 516-299-2222.
American Red Cross Mega Shelter
LIU Post is not an activated shelter at this time. The opening of a shelter will be determined by the American Red Cross (ARC). The ARC will make public announcements if the use of the LIU Post campus becomes necessary. Please note the shelter is not open at this time. If conditions change, this message will be updated. For information please visit the ARC website at www.nyredcross.org or the Nassau County Office of Emergency Management at www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/oem/hurricane/shelter.html or call 1-888-684-4274 (non-life threatening information hotline).
Emergency Alert System (Text Messages)
Those who registered their cell phones with the LIU Post Emergency Alert System prior to Friday, October 26 at 5 p.m. will receive emergency text messages from LIU Post, if warranted. If you did not register your cell phone prior to this time, please check your LIU email or other Information Outlets for emergency updates. For information about the Emergency Alert System visit www.liu.edu/post/alert. This service is for LIU Post students, faculty, and staff only.
Hurricane and Storm Safety Tips