Director, Television CenterProfessor Media ArtsChair, SVPA Curriculum Committee
B.F.A., C.W. Post Campus, Long Island UniversityM.P.S., Tisch School of the Arts, New York University
For over 30 years, Jean Carlomusto has written, produced and directed independent documentary and narrative films. Her work has been featured both nationally and internationally in film festivals and museum exhibitions and on television.
Her acclaimed documentary, Larry Kramer In Love & Anger, was featured this year at the Sundance Film Festival and premiered on HBO on June 29, 2015. She produced, directed and edited Sex In An Epidemic, which premiered on Showtime on World AIDS Day, 2011. Her interactive video altar, Offerings, has been exhibited at the Fowler Museum in Los Angeles, The Museum of the City of New York, and has toured South Africa as part of the Stop AIDS /Make Art project. Jean was an early pioneer in the AIDS Activist video movement and helped to bring about positive change in the face of the AIDS epidemic.
Film, Video, Interactive Media, LGBTQ Studies, HIV Prevention
- Author, “Radiant Spaces: An Introduction to Emily Roysdon’s Photographs,” published in "GLQ" (2004)
Author, "Preserving Desire," published in Felix: A Journal of Media Arts and Communication (1992)
Co-author, "Do It! Safer Sex," published in "Leap in the Dark" (1992)
Co-author, "How Do I Look; Queer Film and Video" (1991)
Author, "Focusing on Women," publisged in "Women, AIDS and Activism" (1990)
Author, "Making It: AIDS Activist Television," published in Video Guide (1989)
Lectures and Presentations
Invited Speaker At Conferences And Lectures
Larry Kramer in Love & Anger presentation with Q&A, Yale University, CT, October 2015
The NYCLU Culture Project, Culture Cabinet , NYC, September, 2015
The Politics and Practices of Archives, “Towards Archival Praxis” Keynote Speaker, Syracuse University, April, 2014,
U. S. State Department Roundtable, “Inclusion: Voices of Global Diversity Making Transformational Change Through the Arts”. panelist, NYC, August, 2010
- “Offerings,” Durbin Art Gallery, Durbin, South Africa (2009); Fowler Museum, UCLA, California (2008); Museum of World Culture, Goteborg, Sweden (2004/2005)
"AIDS; A Living Archive", Museum of the City of New York, New York, N.Y. (2001)
"To Catch A Glimpse," Permanent Collection, Museum of Modern Art, New York, N.Y. (2000-present)
- HBO NETWORK, Larry Kramer in Love & Anger, 2015
- SHOWTIME NETWORK, Sex in an Epidemic, , 2011
- WNET-TV, Shatzi is Dying, , 2001.
- WNET-TV, L is for the way you look , 1992,93.
- WNET-TV, Testing The Limits, NYC, 1989.
- Recipient, Trustees Award for Scholarly Achievement
- Recipient, Artist Fellowship, New York Foundation for the Arts,
- Recipient, Excellence in Video award, Tisch School of the Arts, New York University
- Recipient, Hometown USA Video Award forBest Documentary Event
- Recipient, Granitz Memorial Award for Creativity in Film, Long Island University