Jody K. Howard
Associate Dean and Director of the Palmer School of Library and Information ScienceAssociate Professor of Library and Information Science
B.A., Metropolitan State College, Denver, ColoradoM.A., University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado
MLS., University of Denver, Denver, ColoradoPh.D., Emporia State University, Emporia, Kansas
Dr. Howard has been involved in teaching and working in libraries for all of her professional career. As a secondary school teacher, she taught English and history. After receiving her School Library Endorsement through the State of Colorado, she worked 11 years as a high school, junior high and elementary school librarian. After working as a district library administrator leading the school library program, she began teaching at the University level. Succeeding positions include director of the NCATE-approved school library program at the University of Colorado—Denver and working as an affiliate professor at the University of Denver in the Master of Library and Information Science program. Dr. Howard has also worked as an adjunct professor at Emporia State University.
School Libraries, Organizational Culture, Action Research, and Leadership
- Co-Author, "Competing Standards in the Education of School Librarians," Journal of Education in Library
Information Science (JELIS) July 2012.
- Author, "The relationship between school culture and the school library
program: Four case studies," School Library Media Research, 13. Peer Reviewed Retrieved from: http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/aasl/aaslpubsandjournals/slmrb/slmrcontents/volume13/howard.cfm
- Author, "The Teacher Librarian as a curriculum leader" a chapter in The Many Faces of School Library Leadership, Sharon Coatney, Editor.
- Co-Author, "Action Research for the Library Media Specialist"
- Author, articles in School Library Monthly, School Library Media Activities Monthly, Library Media Connection, and Colorado Libraries.
- Co-Author, articles in Library Media Connection and Colorado Libraries.
Lectures and Presentations
- Co-Presenter, "A Planning Guide for Empowering Learners with School Library Program Rubric: Tools for Transforming Your School Library Program," Presentation at ALA Midwinter, Dallas Texas (2012)
- Co-Presenter, "Competing Standards in the Education of School Librarians," presented at the ALISE conference (2011) San Diego, CA.
- Presenter, "The Relationship Between School Culture and an Effective School Library Program: Four Case Studies."Presentation at Communities and Libraries the Colorado Association of Libraries Conference, (2008).
- Moderator, "Celebrate a Winning Team: Principals and School Librarians, Ingredients for Increased Student Achievement; We're All on the Same Page."½ day preconference at Communities and Libraries the Colorado Association of Libraries Conference, 2008.
- Co-Presenter, "How Extreme is Too Extreme? Pushing the Limits of Young Adult Literature." Presentation at Communities and Libraries the Colorado Association of Libraries Conference, (2008).
- Panelist, "Books I hate." Panel member Communities and Libraries the Colorado Association of Libraries Conference, (2008).
- Presenter, "Data-Driven Decision Making with Action Research."Library Development Day, Rockland BOCES School Library System, (2008).
- Co-presenter, "Power Library Training Workshops."Presented for Colorado State Library, (2007).
- Panelist, "Libraries Speak Volumes about Learning, A discussion on Libraries and Education." Panel member participating in a discussion on the status of libraries in Colorado moderated by Karen Middleton, Colorado State Board of Education, KACT-TV (2007).
- Co-Presenter, "Advocacy + Collaboration + Librarians = Success."10workshops presented at 10 sitesthroughout the State of Colorado through the Colorado Library Consortium (CLiC).
- Presenter,"Information Literacy: Identification and Assessment" presented to the Boulder Valley Public Schools, (2006).
- Co-presenter, "School Library Managers and Leaders: Takin' Care of Business" pre-conference at the Colorado Association of Libraries (CAL) conference, (2005).
- Keynote Presenter, "Building an Information Literate School," Summer School Library Institute in Emporia, Kansas, (2005).
- Presenter, "Action Research for Reflective Problem Solving Nebraska Regional Library, Omaha, Nebraska, (2005).
- Co-presenter, "Action Research for School Improvement, Accountability, and Student Achievement," Tri-Conference in Overland Park, Kansas, (2005).
- Presenter, "School Libraries: Today and Tomorrow," Douglas County School Librarians, December, (2004).
- Co-presenter, "Action Research for School Improvement, Accountability, and Student Achievement ," Colorado Association of Libraries and Mountain Plains Library Association joint conference, (2004).
- Recipient, Article, "The Relationship between School Culture and the School Library Program: Four Case Studies," selected as one of the Library Instruction Round Table's Top 20 Library Instruction articles in 2010, (2011).
- Recipient, $25,000 LSTA grant to present Celebrate a Winning Team: Principals and School librarian: Ingredients for Increased Student Achievement! (2007)
- Recipient, $2000 Dissertation Research Fellowship from Emporia State University, (2007).
- Recipient, Invited to attend the Library Research Seminar IV, Doctoral pre-conference at Western Ontario University (2007)
- Recipient, Recognition award from Colorado State Library for serving as Chairperson of the Central Colorado Library System (CCLS) (2004).
- Recipient, Colorado Association of Libraries Distinguished Services Award, (2002).
- Chair, American Association of School Librarians, Research and Statistics Committee.
- Outgoing Chair, Educators of School Librarians Section (ESLS) of the American Association of School Librarians
- Editorial Staff Committee Member, American Association of School Libraries School Library Research
- Editorial Advisory Board Member for "Collaborative Instructional Design in Library and Teacher Partnerships."
- Member, New York State City School Library Council (NYCSLS)
- Former President, Colorado Association of Libraries (CAL)
- Former Higher Education Representative, Colorado Association of School Libraries (CASL)
- Former Co-Chair, Colorado Association of Libraries Legislative Committee
- Member, American Libraries Association (ALA)
- Member, American Associations of School Librarians (AASL)
- Member, Association of Library and Information Science Educators (ALISE)
- Member, American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Member, Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
- Member, New York Library Association (NYLA)