Contact Us

Required Courses

Each student in the M.S. in School Counselor program, in consultation with his or her academic counselor, develops and follows a plan of study. Every semester, the student may consult with an assigned faculty advisor on course selection and completion of the study plan. All students are required to meet with their faculty advisor upon completion of 12 credits for an Interim Assessment. Such an assessment allows both the advisor and the student to discuss the student’s progress and achievement and to identify any areas of concern. Each degree candidate will be required to complete at least 90 hours of practicum experience in a field setting (EDC 669, Counseling Practicum) and 600 hours of internship experience (EDC 690, School Counseling Internship I, and EDC 691, School Counseling Internship II).

Departmental Core Courses Required of All Students

Course Credits
EDC 610

Psychopathology for the Professional Counselor

EDC 613 Diversity and Socio-Cultural Issues in Counseling 3

Human Growth and Development Over the Life Span

EDC 615 Theories of Counseling 3
EDC 668 Counseling Pre-Practicum 3
EDC 687 Group Counseling: Theories & Practice 3
EDC 702 Research Methods in Counseling 3

School Counseling Specialization

Course Credits
EDC 602
Introduction to School Counseling & Ethics 
EDC 669 Counseling Practicum 6
EDC 670 Educational Tests and Measurement 3
EDC 676 Career Development 3
EDC 690 School Counseling Internship I (300 hours in a school setting) 3
EDC 691 School Counseling Internship II (300 hours in a school setting) 3
EDC 659 Counseling for the College Admissions and Selection Process 3

Total: 48 Credits


Culminating Experience

Students will take the Counselor Preparation Comprehensive Examination administered by the Center for Credentialing and Education. Students will take the exam the semester before the semester in which they graduate. There is an examination fee which covers the cost for administration and scoring of the exam.  This fee is set by the CCE and is subject to change. Please check with the department for the current fee.