Applicants to the Master of Science in Art Education must meet the following requirements for admission.
- Application for Admission.
- Application fee: $50 (non-refundable).
- Official copies of your undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts from any college(s) or universities you have attended.
- Bachelor’s degree in art education with at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average from an accredited school which meets the New York State requirements for certification or have completed an undergraduate major in art from an accredited school with a minimum of 36 credits in Studio Art classes. If the applicant has fewer than 36 undergraduate Studio Art credits he/she will only be excepted as a “limited-matriculant” until this New York State requirement is satisfied. Also, if the Art Department faculty feels it is necessary, after reviewing an applicant’s portfolio, they may require that the student take additional Art and/or Art History courses to eliminate a deficiency before being admitted into the master's degree program. These credits cannot be applied toward the master’s degree. The student’s status will be “limited-matriculant” until these courses are completed and a grade of B or better is attained. In some cases a second portfolio review will be required for full matriculation.
- A portfolio, evaluated by the Art Department faculty, is required for admission. The portfolio must be submitted to the Art Department Graduate Studies Office and should contain 15 to 20 samples of your most recent work and a numbered inventory list. Samples can be either original works, slides (enclosed in a slide page), CD or DVD. Photography applicants are encouraged to submit a portfolio of 20 original prints.
- Personal Artist Statement that addresses the reason you are interested in pursuing graduate work in this area of study.
- Two professional and/or academic letters of recommendation that address the applicant’s potential in the profession and ability to complete a graduate program.
- Students for whom English is a second language must submit official score results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The required minimum acceptable TOEFL score is: 79 Internet-based (213 computer based or 550 paper-based) or minimum IELTS score: 6.5.
Special Requirements for Transfer Students
- If pertinent to the applicant’s plan of study, a maximum of 12 graduate credits with a grade of B or better may be transferred from another university’s graduate program (15 credits from within Long Island University).
- The transfer will take place after the completion of 15 credits within this program but the request must be made at the time of the original application to the degree program and must be approved by the Graduate Advisor.
Send application materials, with the exception of the portfolio, to:
Admissions Processing Center
P.O. Box 805
Randolph, MA 02368-0805
The portfolio should be mailed to:
(Please include your name, phone number and email address as well as the Program of Study and Degree applying for on portfolio)
Art Department Graduate Studies Office
720 Northern Boulevard
Brookville, N.Y. 11548-1300