About the Program
The M.S. in Educational Technology program is designed for certified K-12 teachers to earn New York State professional certification and/or as an Educational Technology Specialist. It also is designed for the teacher who wants to be part of the changing world of education caused by constantly evolving technologies. The program moves your thinking from the bricks-and-mortar style of learning to learning one that builds communities of practice within the virtual world of cloud technologies, on-line learning materials, and multi-media. Courses are offered in the blended format, combining in-classroom and online studies.
The program uses a cohort approach that joins 20 to 25 students who stay together from the start of the program until its completion. You will be teamed up with students with a variety of experience and career goals. Together you will emerge as teachers with expertise in using and applying web-based tools for 21st century communications, content creation and access, and personal and group learning in a virtual world. These skills will transform and enrich a variety of your teaching and learning experiences. You can still teach music, math, history, English, or your area of specialty, but you will teach it with greater creativity and a wider knowledge of learning applications that incorporate current and emerging technologies.
Our students' varied backgrounds and disciplines make for a rich and rewarding experience. We work with people from pre-K through high school, in all disciplines and special subject areas, in special education, guidance, etc.
Our cohorts work equally well with varied technology expertise. This dynamic enhances the overall classroom experience and strengthens the learning experience for all.
We align naturally with . . .
- The Common Core
- Varied Curricula Areas (any area you teach)
- The International Society for Technology in Education Standards (ISTE Nets for Teachers, Facilitators, and Students)
- The InTASC national standards for teachers
We are learner-centered, creating multiple learning environments where learners work individually and collaboratively.
- Those who have New York State initial certification will be eligible for NYS professional certification with the master's degree program
- Those who have New York State initial or professional certification will be eligible for NYS certification as an Educational Technology Specialist, after successful completion of NYS test (CST 71)
Access to a portable computer with connectivity at home and in class is required. Tablets are also highly recommended in addition to the required computer.
Students enrolled in the M.S. in Educational Technology Program must meet the following requirements for graduation.
- A minimum of 30 credits in graduate coursework
- A 3.0 cumulative grade point average