Coaching Certificate Program
The Department of Health, Physical Education and Movement Science offers a Coaching Certificate Program which prepares men and women to coach in high schools in New York State. This Coaching Certificate Program is designed for those who are not certified to teach Physical Education in New York State.
Upon completion of the 15-credit hours of course requirements, plus three required workshops, a certificate is issued as evidence that the student has completed the necessary requirements set forth by the New York State Department of Education.
The program includes the following courses and workshops:
- PE 201 - Introduction to Physical Education and Sport
- PE 202 - Basic First Aid & Emergency Care
- PE 256 - Philosophy of Coaching and Officiating
- PE 257 - Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries (PE 203 or BIO 118)
- PE 299 - Exercise Physiology (PE 203 or instructor’s permission)
- PED 291 - Coaching Practicum (PE 256)
- Child Abuse Identification Workshop
- School Violence Prevention and Intervention Workshop (Project S.A.V.E.)
- Dignity in Schools Act (DASA) Workshop