The following admission requirement apply to those pursuing the Master of Science in Library and Information Science (M.S.L.I.S.) as well as students pursuing the M.S.L.I.S. with specializations in School Media Specialist, Public Librarianship, Academic and Special Librarianship and Rare Books and Special Collections.
Students applying to the M.S. in Library and Information Science programs at LIU Post or the Manhattan Program should submit the Long Island University Online Application for Admission and select "LIU Post" in the "Campus" field and submit all admissions applications and materials to the LIU Post Graduate Admissions Processing Center, 15 Dan Road, Ste. 102, Canton, MA 02021. Students applying for LIU Brentwood should follow the requirements on the LIU Brentwood website found at this link: http://www.liu.edu/Brentwood/Admissions
Admission Requirements – M.S. in Library and Information Science
Applicants to the Master of Science in Library and Information Science must adhere to the following requirements for admission.
- Application for Admission
- Application fee: $50 (non-refundable)
- Official copies of your undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts from any college(s) or universities you have attended.
- Applicants must have achieved at least a 3.0 grade point average or equivalent in a bachelor’s program or in the last two years of the undergraduate program. Applicants who have not have completed their degrees prior to submitting the admission application should submit a transcript without the final semester’s grades. Such applicants may be accepted pending receipt of their final degree noted.
- Applicants whose undergraduate average is below a 3.0 will be required to submit the results of the Graduate Record Exam or Miller Analogies Test taken in the last five years. Students already holding a master’s degree or who can show successful completion of coursework in graduate school will not be required to take the GRE or MAT exams.
- Two professional and/or academic letters of recommendation that address the applicant’s potential in the profession and ability to complete a graduate program
- A current résumé
- A written statement that describes the applicant’s motivation for seeking the degree, special areas of interest, and career objectives in the profession (500-1000 words). You may submit this statement in lieu of the Applicant’s Personal Statement requested as part of the Online Application for Admission.
- Students for whom English is a second language must submit official score results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The required minimum acceptable TOEFL score is: 79 Internet-based (213 computer based or 550 paper-based) or minimum IELTS score: 6.5.
Applicants who do not meet the above minimum criteria may be considered for admission as limited matriculants if potential for success in the program and the field can be confirmed by an unusually high GRE or MAT score, extensive and successful experience in the field, outstanding letters of recommendation from professionals in the field, or a personal interview that will demonstrate that the applicant has attained the level of maturity and dedication necessary to pursue study at the master’s level.
Students interested in studying at the LIU Post or Manhattan locations should send application materials to:
Graduate Admissions Processing Center
15 Dan Road, Ste. 102
Canton, MA 02021