About the Program
The Ph.D. in Information Studies offers two main areas of study – Information Access and Systems and Information Studies and Services – and includes research into such subjects as human-computer interaction and systems analysis and design. The program is structured to accommodate part-time students who are already working in the information field or in related professions. During the first-year of the program, courses are held on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6 to 9 p.m.
The two main knowledge areas are composed of the following courses:
Information Access and Systems
Principles of information organization and retrieval as well as the information systems that support both activities.
- Knowledge Organization
- Information Retrieval
- Information Systems
- Human-Computer Interaction
Information Studies and Services
The relationship of information technologies to individuals, organizations, and society in general.
- Information and Society
- Information Policy
- Information Services
- Organization Information Management
Current and emerging information technologies present both challenges and opportunities. Realizing the benefits of information studies requires individuals who can:
- Represent information and organize knowledge for efficient, timely access and effective use
- Design, test and evaluate information retrieval systems and methodologies
- Improve human computer interaction as the basis for designing ever more usable, effective information systems and environments
- Investigate and understand information needs and information-seeking behaviors of individuals, groups and organizations in a variety of task and technology environments, including the Web
- Investigate the effectiveness, relevance and evolution of societies’ information provision agencies and organizations such as libraries, museums, publishers and the media
- Analyze information policy and ethics at national and international contexts
COMMAND THE WORLD OF INFORMATION
Interested in managing the world of information? Download our brochure here.