Incoming students are admitted to the Ph.D. in Information Studies at LIU Post each fall semester only, with a maximum of 20 students accepted. Applicants must hold a master’s degree which can be in any discipline. Work experience is an asset but is not required. The program is structured to accommodate those who are already working in the information field or in related professions.
Admission decisions will be based on the following factors: academic proficiency, professional accomplishments, proposed intellectual focus, and potential for completing a rigorous program. Professional references and successful interviews with faculty will impact decisions about admission to the program. Applicants whose master’s degrees are not from English-language institutions must provide proof of a TOEFL examination score of 600 or more.
This deadline for receipt of completed application forms is March 1. All of the following application materials must be received by the deadline date:
- Complete the Long Island University Online Application for Admission
- Application fee: $50 (non-refundable)
- Official transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate course work
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement that addresses the reason you are interested in pursuing graduate work in this area of study.
- A statement of research/inquiry outlining the reasons for pursuing a doctoral degree, and a description of the proposed area of study and research
- A writing sample of a published work or other scholarly writing
- A full curriculum vitae/resume
Send application materials to:
Graduate Admissions Processing Center
15 Dan Road, Ste. 102
Canton, MA 02021
The Palmer School encourages applications from minority groups and is committed to equal-opportunity acceptance of candidates into the program in order to offset the shortage of minorities in the information professions.
For more information about admission requirements or the application process, please contact Dr. Gregory S. Hunter at 516-299-2171 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Graduate Admissions Office at 516-299-2900 or e-mail email@example.com.