Forensic Science Laboratory
Our Forensic Laboratory located in the Life Sciences Building at LIU Post offers the aspiring forensic science student a unique opportunity not afforded by other colleges to gain a real world hands on practical forensic experience. Each forensic science student is expected to practice what they learn in the classroom with regards to forensic experimental applications and criminal investigative laboratory procedures by performing their testing on actual evidence using the same instrumentation that they will be using in the field during forensic laboratory investigations. The University has gone to great lengths to mimic the surroundings and facilities the forensic science student can expect when employed in such areas as Police Department Crime or Medical Examiner’s Office Laboratories as well as most major Research Laboratories. Such equipment presently being utilized in the Forensic Laboratory of Long Island University is as follows:
- Low Power 10x – 144x Forensic/Ballistic Comparison Trinocular Microscopes.
- High Power 40x – 600x Forensic Trace Evidence Comparison Binocular Microscopes.
- 10” Video Inspection Microscope with Pneumatic Boom Arm Stand.
- Digitally Integrated Compound and Stereo Microscopic wireless airport supported Video Monitor System within the Forensic Laboratory.
- Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectroscopes.
- Omniprint Forensic Alternate Light Sources for trace evidence examination.
- ABI 310 Gene Analyzer for DNA Sequencing.
- iQ5 Real-Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Detection System.
- Beckman Coulter laboratory Automation Workstation for Biorobotic Human Genome and Bioresearch.
- Multipurpose Kodak Digital Imaging System for chemiluminescence, fluorescence and chromogenic gels and blots.
- Cyanoacrylate Ductless Fuming Chambers for fingerprint processing.
- Misonix AU-750E Biohazard and Chemical Hazard Ductless Fume Safety Hoods.
- Misonix PCR Prep Station with Laminar Airflow and Ultra Violet Decontamination.
- Labrepco Futura -25 Degree Celsius Laboratory Freezer.
- Harris -85 Degree Celsius Ultra – Low Freezer.