M.S. in Taxation (Online)
LIU Post Online Master of Science in Taxation Program
LIU Post’s 30-credit Online Master of Science in Taxation Program is designed to provide the student with the technical expertise to succeed as a tax professional. This requires a high level of knowledge and understanding of the fundamental principles and practices of taxation. Both entry-level and experienced professionals, such as accountants and attorneys, will benefit from this educational experience. Emphasis is placed on tax planning, research of tax problems and Internal Revenue Service procedures. Risk management and professional ethics are interwoven throughout the curriculum. The 30-credit program consists of 15 credits in required core courses and 15 credits in specialized elective courses. Courses will be taught in an asynchronous, online, interactive environment. For each section of a course, students will be required to complete assigned readings, review PowerPoint presentations, and complete either individual or team assignments. Students will also be required to participate with the professor and other students in interactive, online discussions. Professors will also be available for online individual and group coaching.
The Online Master of Taxation Program goals are as follows:
- Develop an understanding of tax research utilizing information technology.
- Demonstrate ability to identify and measure the tax consequences of actions taken by individuals, partnerships and corporations.
- Demonstrate ability to analyze and solve tax problems through the application of critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the tax consequences of income, gift and estate tax transactions.
- Recognize and analyze ethical and professional responsibility issues in tax practice.
- Demonstrate ability to analyze complex taxation problems and effectively communicate analysis in writing.