Undergraduate Admission/Audition Requirements
- Incoming freshmen must have a solid B average (3.0 or 82-85 grade point average) and an average SAT score of 1000 (Critical Reading and Math combined) or ACT Composite of 20 or above.
- Transfer students must have completed more than 24 college credits. A minimum college G.P.A. of 2.0 is required for application review. If you have completed fewer than 24 credits, you must also submit high school transcripts and SAT/ACT scores.
For admission to the Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Music programs, evidence of prior music training experience and musical aptitude is expected. Auditions and placement exams are required for all programs. Deficiencies discovered through the placement exam may require remedial coursework. Please call the Department of Music at 516-299-2474 to schedule an audition at one of our audition days, or to make an appointment for an alternate date. Acceptance into the music program is also contingent upon acceptance to LIU Post Campus of Long Island University. See Freshman or Transfer Admissions Web sites for more information.
Auditions for Admission
As a prospective undergraduate music major, you may compete through audition for performance awards ranging from $4,000 to $20,000 over four years. These awards are given on the basis of musical talent and promise, regardless of financial need.
Spring 2014 Audition Days for incoming students
Saturday, January 11, 2014 – in the Fine Arts Center
Saturday, February 1, 2014 – in the Fine Arts Center
Sunday, March 2, 2014 - in the Fine Arts Center
Alternate dates by appointment. Call 516-299-2475 or contact us through e-mail at email@example.com.
Auditions will be held in the LIU Post Fine Arts Center. Here are directions to the campus and a campus map.
You can register to audition by completing the online Audition Registration Form. You can also register by phone at 516-299-2475 or by mailing this printable version (PDF file) of the registration form.
Professional attire is expected.
- Two pieces of contrasting styles. Should be one movement from two different works
- Major scales
Percussionists: Audition repertoire should include: (1) advanced snare drum solo; (2) 2 mallet keyboard piece (marimba, xylophone, or vibraphone); (3) 2 drum timpani piece.
- Two pieces of contrasting styles. One selection must be in a language other than English. The other classical selection may be in English if desired.
- Exploration of vocal range and aural abilities
Along with the performance audition, evaluations in pitch perception, sight-singing, and music theory are required to be taken the same day as the audition.
An accompanist will be provided if you require one, or you may bring your own accompanist if you wish.
For more information or to schedule an audition, please call 516-299-2475 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.