B.F.A. in Theatre Arts: Musical Theatre
The Bachelor of Fine Arts in Theater Arts with a concentration in Musical Theatre provides personalized and intensive classroom instruction and stage experience to prepare students for performance careers in Musical Theatre. Students receive a rigorous grounding in history, literature, theories and methodologies of classical and contemporary theatre arts, and work with professional musicians, actors and playwrights. Students also have a variety of opportunities to perform in main stage productions directed by renowned New York City directors. The 129-credit program is highly selective, admitting 16 to 22 students each year.
The musical theatre concentration draws from the Suzuki, Stanislavsky, Chekhov and Linklater techniques a with concentrated study in techniques and approaches to musical theatre. The core program, taught by professional theatre artists, emphasizes development of a riveting stage presence based on dynamic physicality, emotional authenticity and a commanding voice. Students receive individual and ensemble training in television and film acting, singing and dancing from artists of national and international renown. The program culminates at the end of the senior year, when students showcase their talent before agents, managers and directors in New York City.
This exciting program is coordinated with the Post Theatre Company, where students gain hands-on participation in all aspects of a working theatre company. Students gain a wider perspective through internships on and off campus, and have the opportunity to travel to festivals in the United States and abroad.
Students have access to excellent facilities to gain practical experience and showcase their talents.
Qualities That Set Our Program Apart
- Physical acting training based on the Suzuki Method with an emphasis on building technique through movement, dance, voice, and speech training
- Producing contemporary works in musical theatre with the Post Theatre Company; past productions include Bat Boy, Urinetown, Rocky Horror, Into the Woods
- Main stage productions directed by professional New York City directors, public performances and collaborations with renowned New York City-based artists that offer networking opportunities and access to potential employers
- Extensive internship offerings
- A stellar roster of alumni working on Broadway and Off-Broadway, in American regional theatres, on national tours and in international venues and in films and TV programs including Memphis, Aida, "ER" and "Six Feet Under."
- Training in all areas of the industry - stage, film, television, and more.
About the Field
The B.F.A. in Theatre Arts: Musical Theatre can lead to rewarding careers in musical theatre performance as well as stage and screen acting and work in related fields such as playwriting, directing, stage management, costume design, lighting design, make-up artistry, set design and much more. The Musical Theatre concentration particularly prepares graduates for careers as lead performers in musicals and cabaret or to pursue graduate study for careers as acting teachers and coaches.
Beyond working with acclaimed performers and instructors on and off campus, students at LIU Post gain outstanding direction and leads through LIU Post’s offices of Cooperative Education and Career Services. Career counselors in the LIU Post Division for Student Success meet with students one-to-one to discuss career options in theatre arts, including those best suited to graduates of the Musical Theatre concentration.