The mission of the Post Theatre Company is twofold: to provide a performing ensemble which approaches as closely as possible the conditions of a working professional theatre company, and to present exceptional live theatre.
The company provides
- an interface between the theoretical, historical, and professional worlds of theatre through mentoring by faculty and guest professionals
- an opportunity to develop students’ creative potential as directors, performers, designers, stage managers, and other creative outlets
- an opportunity to work in collaboration with designers, filmmakers, and managers in the other disciplines of the department in the creation of dynamic new work
- an opportunity to work in the context of international theatre
- intensive training in a range of acting techniques and design styles as represented by the faculty and selected guest artists
- preparation for professional careers as performing artists, designers, teachers, company managers, studio owners, scholars, and informed and responsible leaders in academic and professional settings
The company encourages students to explore the future of their art through opportunities to work with emerging directors and designers from New York and the international scene. Graduates perform in an annual showcase for agents and casting directors in New York City. The company also presents the Virgil J. Lee New Play Festival in Manhattan, promoting new playwrights and the development of new works.
The company encourages students to explore the transmission of their art through lecture-demonstrations and performances. The PTC has traveled to Scotland, Greece, Cyprus, Canada, and Italy, touring with original works, and presenting workshops and performances at international festivals.