Instructions for Completing the Form I-20 Application
The Form I-20 Application is available on the Forms & Documents link of the International Admissions Web site. Print the application, fill it out and include it with your application to LIU Post. A hard copy of the Form I-20 can also be mailed to your home upon request. To request the form, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-516-299-2637.
When submitting your Form I-20 Application, you must also provide current, original bank statements as documentation of your own, your family’s or another sponsor’s ability to fund your education. Self-sponsored students must show funds equal to or exceeding the entire length of your academic program; sponsored students need only display one year’s funding.
- If you will live off-campus at no cost, you should also complete and submit the Declaration of Free Room and Board
- If you are currently studying at another college or university or a high school in the United States, you must also complete an F-1 Transfer-In Form Application & Information. Upon acceptance as a student at LIU Post, and release from your current institution, the International Admissions Office will issue your new Form I-20 and send it to you, along with an official admissions letter, via express mail.
- If you are currently studying at a language school in the United States, you are also required to complete the F-1 Transfer-In Form Application & Information form.
- Long Island University will only issue you the Form I-20 after you have made the required $200 tuition deposit.
- After you receive your Form I-20, you must make an appointment with the American embassy in your country to appear for your visa interview. You will be required to pay the I-20 SEVIS fee before you appear at the American embassy, though you may make your appointment to appear at the embassy prior to paying the fee. Information regarding the payment of the SEVIS fee will be included within your I-20 packet, but we recommend you visit www.fmjfee.com to learn more.
Appear at your appointment with the American Embassy in your country. Be sure to bring all of the following documentation that applies to you:
- Your official Form I-20
- Proof of payment of SEVIS fee
- A completed non-immigrant visa application
- The appropriate visa application fee (consult the consulate)
- A valid passport
- Acceptance letter and any scholarship letters from LIU Post
- Transcripts and diplomas from previous schools
- TOEFL or IELTS, GMAT, GRE, SAT scores (if applicable - see Admissions Requirements for more information)
- Evidence of financial ability (bank statements, affidavits)
- Evidence of compelling ties to home country
- Proof of dependents and their relationship to student (if F-2 visas are required)
For more information visit the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Web site.