Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked QuestionsTo make your transition to LIU Post easier, we have created a list of frequently asked questions with short answers to help provide a basis for your decision making. The answers to these questions also contain links to comprehensive information on each topic. We urge you to visit these links to gain a better understanding of the admissions process and all of its related facets.

Who is a "visiting student"?

LIU Post classifies a visiting student as one who is not formally admitted to the University but who is permitted to attend credit-based classes. A visiting student can either be working toward a degree at another college or university, or is not enrolled at another college but is seeking personal enrichment. Student visitors are "non-matriculated."

Can visiting students receive "matriculated" status?

Visiting students are considered "non-matriculated." If you decide to continue your education at LIU Post, you can apply for admission. To receive "matriculation" status, you must enroll in an undergraduate or graduate degree program and meet all admission and academic requirements.

How many credits may I register for each semester?

Undergraduate visiting students who have applied as "personal enrichment" and have not submitted transcripts to the Admissions Office may enroll in up to 9 credits for one semester. Undergraduate visiting students who have submitted official transcripts and been accepted as "personal enrichment" may take up to 9 credits per semester and apply for matriculation after completion of 24 credits. Graduate visiting students who have applied as "personal enrichment" can enroll in 6 to 9 credits as approved by the academic department.

Can I apply a course I took as a visiting student toward a LIU Post degree?

Completed course work taken by students with "visiting student" status may count toward an LIU Post degree if you meet the admission and academic requirements of the degree program.

What if I am a student at another LIU campus?

You are still considered a visiting student if you are attending another LIU campus.

Can visiting students receive financial aid?

Financial aid is not available from LIU Post for visiting students; however, aid from your home institution may be applied to study at LIU Post. Contact your home institution's financial aid office to learn if you qualify for such assistance.

Where do I purchase textbooks?

Textbooks may be purchased at the LIU Post bookstore, which is located next to Pell Hall/Life Science. You also may contact the LIU Post bookstore at 516-299-2639 or visit the bookstore website. The bookstore is generally open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, with extended evening and weekend hours during the school year.

What is My LIU?

The My LIU student portal, located at, provides 24/7 online access to your class schedule, transcript, grades, bursar account (bill payment), university e-mail, and much more. To activate your My LIU account, log onto and select the "Activate My Account" link on the bottom left of the web page. We recommend that you activate your account three business days after you register for classes. If you need assistance accessing the My LIU portal, please contact the Center for Student Information via e-mail at or call 516-299-3967.

What should I expect the first day of class?

We recommend arriving at least 15 minutes early the first day of class to provide ample time for parking, locating the classroom and getting comfortable in your new surroundings. The professor will most likely distribute a syllabus (course outline) and explain the requirements of the class. At this time, the professor may also inform you if textbooks are required for the course.

How do I request my transcript?

Visit our website and select "Transcript Request" or log onto your My LIU account to order an official transcript or to view and print an unofficial transcript. You may also visit the Office of Records and Registration in the main lobby of Kumble Hall. Up to two official transcripts can be printed for you on the spot (picture ID required). Contact the Office of Records and Registration at 516-299-2901 if you have questions about your transcript.

Do I need a student photo ID card?

Yes! You must be officially registered for class to receive a LIU ID Card. This photo ID card is necessary to access the library and computer labs. ID cards are available in the Public Safety Department.

Do I need an LIU Post parking permit as a visiting student?

If you are registered for a class during the Winter or Summer Sessions, you are not required to obtain an LIU Post parking permit.

Where can I park my car?

Students can park in the general student parking areas conveniently located near all academic and recreational buildings. There is no fee for parking. Please do not park in fire zones or restricted parking areas such as "faculty/staff" parking lots. Handicap parking is available throughout campus and requires a valid New York State, county or town permit.

Can I use the LIU Post library and computer labs?

Yes! You must have a currently validated LIU student photo ID with a barcode to access the library's databases. To obtain a barcode, please go to the Circulation Desk in the main lobby of the library.

Will I be notified if the campus is closed or class is canceled?

In the event of inclement weather, power outages and other emergencies at LIU Post, you can call: 516-299-EMER (3637), visit our website or log onto

What happens if I get sick or hurt myself while on campus? Is there an infirmary?

The Student Health and Counseling Center (infirmary) is located in Life Science/Pell Hall, Room 154. Additionally, two emergency medical technicians are always on duty to respond to any medical or health problem that may occur. We have basic life support equipment readily available as well as access to advanced life support equipment if needed. Students can be transported to the nearest hospital via our campus ambulance.

Is there a cafeteria on campus?

During the Winter and Summer Sessions, the Hillwood Café is open for a quick bite, a filling meal or a refreshing beverage. Snack and beverage machines are conveniently located in several of the academic buildings on campus.