The Pratt Recreation Center sports an 8-lane, 25 yard pool where a variety of activities happen in which students, faculty, staff and recreation members can participate. The Recreational Sports Department along with the department of Health, Physical Education and Movement Science offer swim classes, scuba, aqua aerobics, American Red Cross certification courses in Lifeguard Training and Water Safety, lap swimming and recreational use.
Beginner/Intermediate Swim (6 week course)
Class will cover body balance, rhythmic breathing, kicking and the introduction of front crawl, elementary backstroke and back crawl.
12:45 – 1:30 p.m.
American Red Cross Lifeguard Training
Class prepares students for handling emergency situations both in the water and on land. Successful completion of this class results with certifications in First Aid, Lifeguarding and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer. LIU Post students pay ½ price for this class. Dates and times for the three different classes vary.
For further information and to register call the Nassau County ARC chapter 516-747-3500 x 227.
Self-fitness program. The aquatics staff with monitor how much mileage you swim each time you come to the pool. Patrons write their name and the number of laps form provided. Incentive awards are distributed at 5, 10, 15, 25, 50 and 100 mile increments.
- All persons using the swimming pool must take a shower before entering the pool area.
- Any person having an infectious or communicable disease is prohibited from using the pool.
- Persons having open blisters, cuts, etc., are advised not to use the pool.
- Spitting, spouting water, blowing the nose or discharging body wastes in the pool is strictly prohibited.
- Running, boisterous or rough play or excessive noise is forbidden in the pool area, showers or locker rooms.
- Dogs or other animals are not allowed in the pool area.
- All children and non-swimmers must be accompanied by a parent or responsible adult supervisor.
- No street shoes on deck.
- No food or drink on deck.
- No glass on deck.
- No running.
- Diving blocks are for swim team use only.
- Patrons must wear a proper bathing suit (no jeans, cutoff shorts, t-shirts).
- No diving in the shallow end.
- Please circle swim to the right side of the lane.