Apply for a Driver’s License
With growing demands for enhanced security, the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has produced an extensive list of documents that may be used to prove your name and date of birth. Please review the information below to be sure you have the documents necessary to prove your identity before you visit the DMV. You must present a total of 6 points:
- (2 points) U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) Card bearing your signature.
- (0 points) If you are unable to obtain an SSA card, you must get an ineligibility letter from SSA and present it along with the following items at the DMV within 30 days.
- (3 points) Passport in English (valid for at least 6 more months) with Visa and I-94 card indicating F-1 (student) or F-2 (student’s spouse or child) status, plus your I-20. The I-20 must have been issued for one year or more and have at least 6 months validity left when applying at DMV. This must be presented with both the original entry document and extension document (if appropriate) stamped by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). For this reason, take all I-20s ever issued to you.
WITH (balance of points must come from the list below):
- (2 points) College ID with photo and transcript (official recommended)
- (2 points) Valid photo driver license issued by another U.S. state or Canadian province
- (1 point) A supermarket check cashing card
- (1 point) U.S. health insurance card
- (1 point) U.S. bank statement, canceled check with your name, ATM card, or valid major U.S. credit card
- (1 point) N.Y. utility bill with your name on it
DMV requires all original documents and will not count more than one document of the same type of proof (for example, 3 major U.S. credit cards are viewed as one card). Keep in mind that your name must be the same on all documents presented. Altered or erased documents will not be accepted and may be confiscated for further evaluation. All fraudulent documentation will be seized and may result in criminal prosecution.
Visit www.nydmv.state.ny.us for further information, DMV locations, and to download application forms. For DMV Customer Service, please click here
Take form MV-44 (Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card) with the above documents worth 6 points to the DMV office that is convenient for you. The location most convenient to LIU Post is: Department of Motor Vehicles, 801 Axinn Avenue, Garden City, N.Y. 11530.