Contact Us

Solving a Problem

To Settle a Dispute of Any Kind, remember to always follow the chain of command, whether academic or non-academic. Remember also to utilize different methods of resolving a dispute: written, face-to-face, and over the phone. No matter how you do it, remember to keep your cool. You are much more likely to get results if you are calm, collected and mature than if you are frazzled. See the Campus Policies section of the Student Handbook for official policies in regard to such matters.

Academic Disputes

If you are involved in an academic dispute, always attempt to resolve it with your professor first. Often, the professor may not be aware of the problem and can help you solve it. If that fails, try to contact the department chair for that subject area. If you still feel that you must pursue the matter further, contact the dean for that area. He or she can help you or suggest another method for resolving your problem. If you are concerned with program requirements, graduation requirements, academic standing, or academic suspension, the best person to see first is your academic counselor. He or she can outline your program of study and make sure you are fulfilling your requirements.

Non-Academic Disputes

The procedure for resolving a non-academic dispute is similar to the above process. First, talk to the person with whom you have the problem or with a representative of that area. If that does not provide the result you want, try to speak to the director of that department. If that fails, report the problem to the associate provost who oversees that area. Often, he or she can help you to solve your problem.

What if I Have a Problem That is Personal in Nature?

Unfortunately, some problems cannot be solved easily, especially if the problem is a personal one. But being part of the LIU Post community means that you always have someone to turn to, including friends, faculty, staff and clergy, who understand what you're going through and are willing to help. If you have a problem and don't know where to turn, speak to your academic counselor, one of the Campus religious leaders, your residence assistant or residence hall director, a faculty member with whom you are comfortable, a counselor at Student Health and Counseling, or the Associate Provost for Student Affairs. If you think the matter must be kept confidential, verify this with the person you speak to; sometimes, it cannot be guaranteed, except by the Student Health and Counseling Center, where everything is always confidential unless it threatens your safety or the safety of someone else.