Contact Us

Practical Matters


Students will live together in houses in Suffolk Park and share rooms with other students. Decisions about living arrangements will be made upon arrival. The houses have washing machines and there may be a phone in the house, but most likely no internet service. Most houses also have a TV and DVD player. Wireless internet is available at one location in Suffolk Park and in a few places in Byron Bay. Computers are available at the numerous internet cafes in Byron Bay.

Each house has a security deposit of approximately $100US per student. If the houses are undamaged and kept clean, the deposit will be returned to students at the end of the semester.

Suffolk Park is predominantly a beachside residential development, with many full-time residents and their families. There is a 10 p.m. noise curfew and students may be fined $100AUS if an excessive noise complaint is registered against the house.

Independent Travel During Spring Break

Students are free to do independent travel during the 2 week spring break. Please note that students will not have housing in Byron Bay during spring break. Professor Herbert advises students to go to the Barrier Reef, Arlie Beach, on a sail of the Whitsunday Islands, and also recommends spending several days on Fraser Island. These trips are not required and students can travel where they wish. A reflection paper is required and independent travel experiences will be discussed in class.

Living Expenses and Budget

Students will have to pay for their own food and drinks while living in Australia and will most likely spend $50-100US each week on groceries and meals. In addition, students should make a budget that includes entertainment, adventure activities, shopping, gifts, and still make sure they have some money in case of emergencies. All travel, with the exception of field trips and school activities, must be paid for by the student. Overall, students should budget their spending money for the semester to be about $1000-$2000US.

Australia accepts all major credit cards, such as American Express, Visa and Mastercard. Students can get cash out from the ATMs around town, though a small fee (usually around $2US) is charged. Cashing traveler's checks requires students to go to a bank with their passports. Before leaving for Australia, students should be aware of the current exchange rate.


Orientation is held in Australia once all students have arrived in country.

Visa Information

Students should not apply for student visas. These are only for people studying at Australian universities. Global College students will need to apply for an ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization). An ETA is equivalent to a visa, but there is no stamp or label in your passport and there is no need for you to visit an Australian diplomatic office to submit an application. An ETA allows students to remain in Australia for up to 90 days. Students can get an ETA at and should print the receipt or confirmation of the document. If you would like to stay longer, you will have to arrange to get a tourist visa.