The application process for admission to LIU Global provides the candidate with the opportunity to share information that goes beyond the standard process of reviewing transcripts and test scores that occurs at other universities. All applications are judged on their own merit. Clear evidence of the ability and readiness to carry out university level work is expected, with primary emphasis placed on personal qualities of maturity, motivation, initiative and independence, rather than on standardized test scores or solely school grades.
Admission to LIU Global involves mutual exploration of the suitability of the program for one's learning aims rather than a competitive process. The application is reviewed by the LIU Global Admissions Office to assess academic achievement and evaluate the curricular rigor of the student’s academic history, leadership potential, the depth of participation in community service and extracurricular activities, and international experience and exposure.
Minimum Requirements for Admission:
Applicants for LIU Global should have a minimum 2.50 GPA to be considered for admission. Students who do not meet this requirement may be considered on a case-by-case basis dependent on supplementary materials (i.e. test scores, essays, personal interviews).
- Freshman Application (high school seniors or applicants with fewer than 24 college credits: select LIU GLOBAL on the drop down menu item “Interested Campus”)
- The Common Application (applicants will complete LIU Brooklyn Campus app and indicate “Global Studies” on the supplemental form)
- Tips on Completing the Common Application for LIU Global
- Create an account & profile
- Complete all fields on the application and hit "SUBMIT"
- Ask two teachers (or one teacher and another non-relative who knows you well) to complete the teacher evaluation form
- Pay the application fee online
- Submit the supplemental essay (prompt provided below) with all other application materials
- Transfer Application (applicants with between 24 and 64 credits)
- Visiting Student Application (applicants wishing to study abroad with LIU Global for one semester or one year)
In addition to the application form, all students must submit the following:
- Official transcripts from all schools attended—high school diploma or GED (either in progress or showing degree conferral)
- A short 250-500 word essay answering one of the following questions:
- Define global citizenship. As an aspiring world citizen, how would your LIU Global education assist you in developing a broad world view and cultivating global sensitivity?
- Identify what you believe to be the most urgent contemporary human problems. How you think anLIU Global education might help you with a plan of action in addressing these issues?
- What does it mean to have a cross-cultural perspective? How do you think an LIU Global education would help you develop this perspective?
- Two letters of recommendation—one must be from a teacher, counselor, or professor
Additional documents that may be requested:
- Official copies of your ACT, SAT or AP scores. ACT code: 2747; Collegeboard code: 2248
- An official copy of TOEFL iBT or IELTS, if English is not your native language
- Official CLEP score reports or Official University Transcripts, if applicable
Note: candidates are encouraged to submit a "complete" package with application, fees, transcripts, and all other documentation listed at one time.
We accept students on a rolling basis throughout the year.
Please submit the completed application and supplemental materials to:
One University Plaza
Brooklyn, NY 11201
For questions regarding the application process, email Christopher.Salute@liu.edu
or call 516-353-7182.
Stay connected and follow us around the world on Facebook, YouTube, and Tumblr.