B.A. in Italian
Italy is among the world’s oldest and most influential cultures. The Italian heritage is traditionally recognized for its rich contributions to art, architecture, literature, music, religion, philosophy and government. More than 70 million people world-wide speak Italian as their primary or secondary language, and there is a growing need for teachers and professionals to acquire expertise in this popular language.
The 129-credit Bachelor of Arts degree program in Italian language and literature at LIU Post will enable you to communicate fluently in Italian and will acquaint you with the literature, grammar, history and culture of Italy. Italian majors have access to a wide range of career options. Diverse fields such as education, business, government, health care, education, the media, finance and travel and tourism are in need of professionals who fluently speak, read and write Italian.
Students who graduate from the Bachelor of Arts program in Italian at LIU Post receive special recognition for acquiring skills in this language. Those who earn an overall grade of C or higher in all coursework, will receive a special certificate and a permanent notation on their diploma and transcript that reads “Citation of Achievement in a Foreign Language.”
As a foreign language student at LIU Post, you may be eligible to join honor societies that will link you with peers throughout the country and world. Sigma Delta Pi is the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society and Phi Sigma Iota is the International Foreign Language Honor Society, both of which recognize outstanding academic ability.
- To teach students to become fluent in speaking, reading and writing Italian
- To introduce students to Italian culture through its literature and history
- To prepare students for rewarding careers in the many fields where fluency in Italian is essential
Qualities That Set Our Program Apart
- Faculty educated at top-rated colleges and universities with diverse specialties and interests
- A wide selection of required and elective courses and a comprehensive liberal arts core curriculum
- Small classes and strong academic advisement focused on student success