B.A. in Spanish
Spanish is the primary language of many of the world’s major countries and societies and is widely spoken in the United States. Fluency in this critical language is increasingly essential in the public and private sectors. The Bachelor of Arts program in Spanish language and literature at the LIU Post will teach you to speak, read and write fluently in Spanish, and will acquaint you with the rich history and magnificent literature and culture of Spain and Latin America.
Fluency in Spanish will open doors to rewarding careers in countless fields. Spanish-speakers are increasingly in demand in such diverse fields as business, education, health care, government agencies, the media, the financial sector and travel and tourism. An undergraduate education in Spanish adds tremendous value to a graduate degree in business, education, law, medicine, public administration or other field.
Students who graduate from the Bachelor of Arts program in Spanish at LIU Post receive special recognition for acquiring skills in this language. Those who earn an overall grade of C or higher in all coursework, will receive a special certificate and a permanent notation on their diploma and transcript that reads “Citation of Achievement in a Foreign Language.”
As a foreign language student at LIU Post, you may be eligible to join honor societies that will link you with peers throughout the country and world. Sigma Delta Pi is the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society and Phi Sigma Iota is the International Foreign Language Honor Society, both of which recognize outstanding academic ability.
- To teach students to become fluent in speaking, reading and writing Spanish
- To introduce students to Spanish culture through its literature and history
- To prepare students for rewarding careers in the many fields where fluency in Spanish is essential
Qualities That Set Our Program Apart
- Faculty educated at top-rated colleges and universities with diverse specialties and interests
- A wide selection of required and elective courses and a comprehensive liberal arts core curriculum
- Small classes, strong academic advisement and a campus focused on student success