International Student Checklist
All International Students must submit the following materials to be considered for admittance into a Graduate Program at Long Island University:
- A $500.00 deposit towards your tuition.
- An Affidavit of Support or Original/Attested Bank Statement along with an Affidavit of Support Form* showing at least $23,000.00 in US Dollars for tuition for one academic year and an additional $13,373.00 in US Dollars for living expenses for one academic year. (A total of $36,474) We must receive an affidavit for the total amount of $36,474.00 in order for a I-20 visa to be issued.
- Official TOEFL score of 550 or better.
- A completed Long Island University Admission Application for International Students with the $50.00 non-refundable application fee.
- Professional Letters of Recommendation (2 for most programs).
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate schools attended, accompanied by official notarized English translations. Foreign Credentials need to be evaluated by one of the evaluation agencies listed below:
* World Education Services, Inc. (www.wes.org)
PO Box 745 Old Chealsea Station, NY, NY 100113-0745
* Globe Languages Services Evaluation Service
319 Broadway, NY, NY 10007
* Center for Applied Research, Evaluation & Education, Inc.
PO Box 20348, Long Beach, California 90801
* Education Credential Evaluators
PO Box 17499, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53217
- A typed essay explaining your primary purpose in undertaking advanced study.
- Copies of your immunization records for Measles, Mumps and Rubella and a completed Meningococcal form. Only students born before January 1, 1957 are exempt from the Measles, Mumps and Rubella form.
- A copy of your Social Security number (if you have one).
* Note: Affidavit of Support Forms can be downloaded from the Web site: www.uscis.gov
You will need a form known as an I-20 as well as a visa. You will need an I-20 in order to obtain a visa to the United States, which you must obtain from the U.S. embassy in your country.
Please be advised that in order for the Office of Admissions to process an I-20*, you must:
- Be accepted into a degree program
- Notify us of your decision to attend
- Send in your affidavit of support ($36,474.00)and an original bank statement
- Send in the $500.00 deposit towards your tuition
*Note: The I-20 will be mailed to the applicant's home country address if a J-1 Visa was submitted. The applicant must then obtain and submit a F-1 Visa to the RGC or WGC Admissions Office in order to register for classes.
It is also mandatory that you have a current Health Insurance Policy at the time of attendance in classes at Long Island University's Hudson Graduate Centers.