Grazia Stagni, Ph.D.
Professor, Pharmaceutical Sciences
Ph.D., University of Texas, Austin, TX, in Pharmaceutics
M.S., University of Texas, Austin, TX, in Pharmaceutics
Laurea summa cum laude, Universita’ di Bologna, Bologna, Italy; in Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Technology
Dr. Grazia Stagni has a Master and PhD (1994) in Pharmaceutics from the University of Texas at Austin where she received training in pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, at both applications and modeling/simulation levels. She previously received a Laurea in Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Technology (1982) from the University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy and was a registered Pharmacist in Italy. From 1994 to 1999, Dr. Stagni was research fellow with the Division of Clinical Pharmacology at the University of Texas Health Science Center, in San Antonio, TX where she developed new applications of the cutaneous microdialysis technique to study the pharmacokinetics in dermis of drugs delivered via iontophoresis. In the year 2000, she joined the Faculty at the Arnold & Marie Schwartz College of Pharmacy, Long Island University, Brooklyn, NY where she continued to develop her interests in the investigation of dermal pharmacokinetics. Dr. Stagni published her research in several scientific Journals and books. She gave invited presentations at national and international meetings. Dr. Stagni teaches a number of courses at both the graduate and undergraduate level, mostly in the area of pharmacokinetics. So far, she supervised the research projects of 9 PhD students and of more than 40 Master students.
Dr. Stagni is member of AAPS (American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists) and served as Chair of the Microdialysis focus group in 2007-2009.
The primary focus of Stagni's laboratory is to apply the principles of biopharmaceutics, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamic to drug delivery and development. Our area of emphasis is the use of the microdialysis technique to obtain detailed measurements of drug concentrations in dermis (in-vivo) following either topical or systemic delivery. These studies permit to improve the understanding of the mechanisms involved in dermal and transdermal delivery and possibly lead to the development of in-vitro/in-vivo correlations, bioequivalence of topical formulation, and physiologically based pharmacokinetic modeling and simulation of dermal absorption.
- Tamakuwala, M., Ratna, W., Joshi, A. and Stagni, G. “Fingolimod Hydrochloride Gel Shows Promising Therapeutic Effects in a Mouse Model of Atopic Dermatitis”, Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, accepted May 2016
- Patel H, Joshi A, Joshi A, Stagni G. Transdermal delivery of etoposide phosphate II: in-vitro in-vivo correlations (IVIVC). Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences; 105(7):2139-2145; 2016
- Patel H, Joshi A, Joshi A, Stagni G. Transdermal delivery of etoposide phosphate I: in-vitro and in-vivo evaluation. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences; 105(7):2114-2122; 2016
- Tamakuwala, M. and G. Stagni, Fingolimod Hydrochloride Gel for Dermatological Applications: Optimization of Formulation Strength, and Effect of Colloidal-oatmeal (Aveeno®) as Penetration Enhancer. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech, 2015. DOI: 10.1208/s12249-015-0415-9
- Patel H, Joshi A, Joshi A, Stagni G. Effect of microporation on passive and iontophoretic delivery of diclofenac sodium. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2015:1-6.
- Patel DR, Joshi A, Patel HH, Stagni G. Development and in-vivo evaluation of ondansetron gels for transdermal delivery. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 41(6):1030-6.; 2015
- Shukla, C., Bashaw, E.D., Stagni, G., Benfeldt, E. Applications of dermal microdialysis: a review. J Drug Del SciTech., 24 (3) 259-269; 2014
- Joshi, A., Stagni, G., Cleary, A., Patel, K., Weiss, D. S. and Hagins, M. (2013), Iontophoresis Successfully Delivers Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate to Dermis as Measured by Microdialysis. J Pharm Sci. doi: 10.1002/jps.23771
- Mannem, V., Nanjarapalle, C., Stagni, G. Iontophoresis of amoxicillin and cefuroxime: rapid therapeutic concentrations in skin. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 40(3):325-329; 2014
- Tre, E. S., Patel, C., Aghara, S., Yadav, C., Stagni, G. Optimization of perfusate pH to improve microdialysis recovery of lipophilic compounds. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods, 66, 276-280; 2012
- Juluru R, Shukla C, Yin H, Stagni G. Skin microdialysis-based estimation of systemic bioavailability fraction. J Pharm Sci 101(1):405-413; 2011
- Patel M, Joshi A, Hassanzadeth H, Juluru R, Stagni G. Quantification of dermal and transdermal delivery of meloxicam gels in rabbits. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 37(5):613-617; 2011
- Patel S, Shukla C, Patel G, Stagni G. Pharmacokinetics of amitriptyline in rabbit skin and plasma following iontophoretic administrations. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 36(4):379-384; 2009
- Shukla, C., V. Patel, R. Juluru, and G. Stagni. Quantification and prediction of skin pharmacokinetics of amoxicillin and cefuroxime. Biopharm Drug Dispos, 30: 281-93; 2009
- Shukla, C., P. Friden, R. Juluru, and G. Stagni. In vivo quantification of acyclovir exposure in the dermis following iontophoresis of semisolid formulations. J Pharm Sci, 98(3): p. 917-25; 2009
- Jantaraprapap, R. and Stagni G. “Effects of penetration enhancers on in-vitro permeability of meloxicam gels. Int J Pharm 343: 26-33; 2007
- Cruz, A., Rainey, P.M., Herwaldt, B.L., Stagni, G., Palacios, R., Trujillo, R. and Saravia, N.G. Pharmacokinetics of antimony in children treated for leishmaniasis with meglumine antimoniate. J Infect Dis, 195, 602-8; 2007
- Suppasrivasuseth, J., Bellantone, R.A., Plakogiannis, F.M. and Stagni, G. Permeability and retention studies of (-)epicatechin gel formulations in human cadaver skin. Drug Dev Ind Pharm, 32, 1007-17; 2006
- Mahamongkol, H., Bellantone, R.A., Stagni, G. and Plakogiannis, F.M. Permeation Study Of Five Formulations Of Alpha-Tocopherol Acetate Through Human Cadaver Skin. J Cosmet Sci, 56, 91-103; 2005
- Stagni, G., Ali M. E., and Weng D. Pharmacokinetics of Acyclovir in Rabbit Skin after IV-bolus, Ointment, and Iontophoretic Administrations” Int J Pharm, Vol 274/1-2 pp 201-211; 2004
- Stagni, G., and Shukla C. Pharmacokinetics of methotrexate in rabbit skin and plasma after iv-bolus and iontophoretic administrations. J Control Release 93:283-92; 2003
- Stagni G., O’Donnell D., Liu J., Kellogg D.L. Jr., Terumi Morgan, and Shepherd A.M.M. Intradermal Microdialysis: Kinetics of Iontophoretically Delivered Propranolol in Forearm Dermis. J Control Release. 63: 331-339; 2000