CCR employs a we-run-it-ourselves way of doing things. Members share responsibility in curriculum planning, subject selection, and class presentations.
Each semester’s curriculum consists of whatever subjects the members choose; it changes from semester to semester. The subjects cover a wide variety of topics.
Here are the upcoming Fall 2015 courses for which the members voted:
- The Culture and History of Iran (formerly Persia)
- A History of the Broadway Musical (including the Yiddish and Italian early-century theatres)
- An Exploration of English-The Secret Life of Words-English Words and Their Origins
- World War II on the Home Front and Abroad
- The Musicals of Stephen Sondheim
- Turning Points in American History
- The Supreme Court: The New Term and Historical Precedents
- A Meryl Streep Film Series
- Virtuoso Performances of Works by Baroque Composers Bach and Telemann
- The History of Impressionist Painting
Miscellaneous “potpourri” topics (one class session each) and guest speakers will be included in the program, as well.