Advanced Certificate in Mobile GIS Applications Development
Applications for mobile devices, often called "apps," have become essential for businesses, consumers and government. Geospatial technology – making geographic information available for commercial uses – is recognized by the U.S. Department of Labor as a high-growth industry. In response to the increasing demand for this state-of-the-art technology, LIU Post offers a 12-credit fully online Advanced Certificate in Mobile GIS Applications Development. The program specializes in the creation of mobile apps using location-based technologies.
Focusing on the intersection of two burgeoning industries—geospatial technology and smartphone/web application development—the program will help students master the necessary skills in geographic information systems, computer programming, geographic development for iOS or Android, and geographic web application development to become effective app developers.
Upon completion of the Advanced Certificate in Mobile GIS Applications Development program, students will have:
- An understanding of how geospatial data is unique, and how it can be analyzed and visualized in mobile applications.
- An understanding of the basic concepts critical to object-oriented programming.
- An understanding of database structures and methods by which the data can be accessed.
- An understanding of application programming interfaces and the use of libraries.
- The skills and understanding to use Objective-C to create geospatial applications for devices using iOS, such as the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch.
- The skills and understanding to use the Java Virtual Machine to create geospatial applications for devices using the Android operating system, such as Android-based smartphones and tablets.
- The skills and understandings to use server technology and web mapping applications to work in concert with mobile GIS applications.
Sample Online Lessons
Flexible: Fully online! Study in your home or office or on your mobile device
Convenient: 12 credit program can be completed in one year
Innovative: Specialize in location-awareness mobile app development
Progressive: Ideal for technology professionals, entrepreneurs and career changers
Accredited: Regionally accredited private university
Personalized: Small class sizes designed for individual attention
Distinguished: Courses taught by same renowned LIU faculty as our campus locations
Watch a video to see what our students are learning:
MapKit: Add a Map to an App
Instructor: Gavi Narra
Geo Tracker Demonstration
Instructor: Kiichi Takeuchi
Select from four out of five courses. Each 3-credit course is offered in a convenient 10-week format.
Check us out on Facebook.