Post Theatre Company
The Post Theatre Company (PTC) is the resident theatre company of the Theatre Arts Program in the Department of Theatre, Dance and Arts Management. The PTC is a resident ensemble of actors, designers and managers that reflects the commitment of the program to theatre as a communicative language, to exploring the possibilities in the creation of new work, and to theatre as a vehicle for social understanding and change.
The company encourages students to explore the history and legacy of their art through performances of classical theatre pieces in the context of today’s world. The PTC received five National awards from the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival in 2012 for the original production Re-Membering Antigone. Additionally, the PTC performance of Caryl Churchill’s The Skriker in 1997 received national acclaim, performing at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. for the American College Theatre Festival. Recent productions have been finalists at regional festivals, and some have toured Internationally.
The mission of the Post Theatre Company is twofold: to provide a performing ensemble which approaches as closely as possible the conditions of a working professional theatre company, and to present exceptional live theatre.
The company provides
- an interface between the theoretical, historical, and professional worlds of theatre through mentoring by faculty and guest professionals
- an opportunity to develop students’ creative potential as directors, performers, designers, stage managers, and other creative outlets
- an opportunity to work in collaboration with designers, filmmakers, and managers in the other disciplines of the department in the creation of dynamic new work
- an opportunity to work in the context of international theatre
- intensive training in a range of acting techniques and design styles as represented by the faculty and selected guest artists
- preparation for professional careers as performing artists, designers, teachers, company managers, studio owners, scholars, and informed and responsible leaders in academic and professional settings
The company encourages students to explore the future of their art through opportunities to work with emerging directors and designers from New York and the international scene. Graduates perform in an annual showcase for agents and casting directors in New York City. The company also presents the Virgil J. Lee New Play Festival, promoting new playwrights and the development of new works.
The company encourages students to explore the transmission of their art through lecture-demonstrations and performances. The PTC has traveled to Colombia, Scotland, Greece, Cyprus, Canada, and Italy, touring with original works, and presenting workshops and performances at international festivals.
POST THEATRE COMPANY RECENTLY PERFORMED AT THE PRESTEGIOUS INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY THEATRE CONFERENCE (IUTA) IN MANIZALES, COLOMBIA.