Recreation Guidelines have been established by Campus Recreation for the Recreation Facilities to ensure fair and consistent treatment of all participants. Questions about these guidelines should be directed to a recreation staff member. It is each participant’s responsibility to read and understand all guidelines related to the facilities and programs.
Memberships are sold on a per semester basis (Sept 1-Dec 31, Jan 1-April 30, May 1-Aug 31) or on a yearly basis from September 1st thru August 31st. Memberships are not sold to expire beyond August 31st of the current fiscal year.
Facility Entry and Exit
Except in case of emergency, participants must enter and exit through the main doors.
All participants need to show and swipe a Valid LIU ID upon entering the building. ID’s should not be used by anyone other than the owner. Using a false ID will result in University discipline.
- Abusive behaviors and profane language is prohibited within the facility. The staff reserves the right to request that individuals leave the facility if such behavior occurs.
- Participants will be billed for any damage caused to the facility and equipment through misuse.
- Individuals who do not follow policies may have their privileges suspended and may face further University discipline.
Attire & footwear
- For hygiene and safety reasons proper attire is required when using the facility.
- Upper body – Shirts should fully cover the back and torso.
- Bottoms – Athletic type clothing required. Pants with zippers, rivets or other items that could damage equipment is not permitted.
- Footwear - non-marking, rubber-soled athletic-type/sport shoes are required. Footwear must completely cover the foot, including instep, toes, arch and heel. Footwear not permitted includes, but is not limited to: high-heeled shoes, spikes, open-toed shoes, turf shoes, cleats, boots, flip-flops, and sandals. Exception: Bare feet and/or socks are acceptable for pool use and some group exercise classes.
- Swimwear - Appropriate swim wear (bathing suit) required for pool use.
Prohibited Items and Activities
- Chewing tobacco and smoking
- Bicycles, in-line skates, and longboards
- Sparring, except during approved sport club activities
- Animals (except service animals)
- Use of the facility under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Posting announcements without permission from Recreational sports and/or Student life
- Users must be at least 18 years of age or a student of LIU in order to work out in the fitness areas.
- Instructions for use of all equipment is posted on the machines, or ask the Recreation Staff for more information.
- Personal training conducted by anyone other than a Campus Recreation employee is prohibited.
- Use of chalk is prohibited.
- Re-rack weights in their proper location when finished.
- Misuse of equipment is prohibited.
- Please report any equipment malfunctions or medical emergencies to the staff on duty.
All activity areas are available for participants to utilize. Organized group activities are only permitted to take place by having an approved reservation. Recreation facilities may be reserved and rented for special events and meetings by students and recognized university organizations.
Lost and Found
Items turned in to “Lost and Found” will be held for 30 days. Wallets will be turned over to LIU Public Safety department.